Ericson History

NGB

Member II
Does anyone know of a book or magazine article that describes the history of the Ericson? I have searched the major book sellers and boat sites with no luck. I am a subscriber to Good Old Boat magazine and they do profiles on boat lines, but I have not seen anything on the Ericson.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Gary,
The only mention of Ericson's history that I have found
is in Dan Spurrs book on the fiberglass boat industry.
There is a small paragraph on Ericson and some of his
facts are dead wrong. Is there something in particular
you would like to know? Perhaps I can help you.

Martin

NGB

Member II
No, there is nothing particular I would like to know. I am just interested in more information on my boat. It appears that sailboat builders come and go like the wind. Must be a very risky business.

Thanks for the info.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Here are a couple of sites...

http://ericsonalbergclassic.homestead.com/page2.html

http://www.geocities.com/Eureka/Concourse/8326/ericson/ericson_history.htm

Use cut and paste to get these into your browser. I did a quick search in Google for "ericson yachts history" and found them on the first page of results.

IMO, Ericson had quite a long history, and their saga of having changes in the company while keeping the name was tame compared to Islander or C&C.
:rolleyes:

Major sailboat builder survivors seem to be the brands that avoided debt and stayed private, like Catalina. In our city, Cascade Yachts is still building boats, having started in the early 60's, as a private company, as just one example.

Best,
Loren in PDX

NGB

Member II
Thanks for the info, Loren. The first article I had seen but not the second. Bits and pieces like these seem to be the norm.

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Yeah, well that E 32 homepage is full of erroneous
info as well. The Kohlman's were not on the scene
until the 80's. Gene was a former salesman and worked
for the Bay area dealer. Bruce King did design a new
boat-a 43 that was to become the next generation of
Ericsons in the 90's. It was targeted toward 38 owners
looking to move up, but was not produced. I don't know where the rumor started about PS chopping up the molds, but I asked Don Kohlman in person about it earlier this year and he assured methey were in fact, intact.

Ericson was an undercapitalized company that managed
to hang on for nearly 3 decades and produced some
nice boats along the way. Rising labor and material
costs along with competition from the used boat
market pushed boatbuilders to the edge, and
the luxury tax was the final straw for many.

Martin
E31C

Last edited:

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Gary,
I'm not sure there's enough there for a book! The late sixties
through the 70's were the golden years for fiberglass
boat production. Costa Mesa was the center for much
of it-there seemed to be a builder on every corner and
customers were lining up to buy. If this subject interests
you, check out Spurrs book "Heart of Glass", it's an
interesting look back at this era.

Martin
E31C

Bob in Va

Member III
Greg Jones' book "The American Sailboat" has a little blurb on Ericson, and one photo, though there is quite a bit about the fiberglass revolution in boatbuilding. Other manufacturers are covered more thoroughly, to my disappointment. Pretty good book overall, though.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Gary,

Good Old Boat magazine will have the E-29 as the featured boat for the Jan '04. Perhaps they will throw in some Ericson history. Check it out.

Keith
:egrin:

NGB

Member II
Thanks. I had emailed Jerry Powlas at GOB, and he told me they had the E29 story in the next edition. It looks like the history I want is going to be piecemeal -- a little bit from one source and a little bit from another. Whatever. I just know that my wife and I are enjoying our E28 even more than we thought we would. I also notice that when I mention to our marina mates that we have an Erickson, I see a bit of envy in their eyes.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
EY.o - v.2

On the new site there will be an 'Company History' page - which I'll combine current sources of info - and that will be corrected and referenced until it's correct....hopefully...

:egrin:

//sse

rbonilla

"don't tread on me" member XVXIIIII
don't forget the So Ca EPA & Emission regulation in the early to mid 80's for boat mfgs that wanted to "lay up" fiberglass...When I worked @ Ericson Inc...that was a big problem...

Yeah, well that E 32 homepage is full of erroneous
info as well. The Kohlman's were not on the scene
until the 80's. Gene was a former salesman and worked
for the Bay area dealer. Bruce King did design a new
boat-a 43 that was to become the next generation of
Ericsons in the 90's. It was targeted toward 38 owners
looking to move up, but was not produced. I don't know where the rumor started about PS chopping up the molds, but I asked Don Kohlman in person about it earlier this year and he assured methey were in fact, intact.

Ericson was an undercapitalized company that managed
to hang on for nearly 3 decades and produced some
nice boats along the way. Rising labor and material
costs along with competition from the used boat
market pushed boatbuilders to the edge, and
the luxury tax was the final straw for many.

Martin
E31C

Doug177

Member III
So was there ever an Ericson involved or did the guys from Columbia just like Vikings

.I have read various posts on all the owners over time and the wiki history and nary an Ericson shows up. And for us mid-westerners, who were Handy and Jenkins.

Doug