Ericson 38 Water beneath the pan?

dfharris02

Quick Question:

For the first time I was cleaning the knotmeter wheel and as I removed it from the thru hull some water entered into the hull (the knotmeter wheel is below the v berth. ) I put the knotmeter back in with no problem and checked the bildge for water but there was none. I assumed that the water is now below the triaxle grid. Is this true? If yes, how do I get it out?:esad:

Thanks,
David

wurzner

Member III
David,

Your email wasn't too clear, so let me make sure I understand it. You removed a thru hull and about ~1/4 gallon of water came in between removing it an reinstalling it...maybe more. Then, you had no indication that this water had made it to your bilge?? If this is the case, some of the drilled holes that allow water to ultimately pass to the bilge are clogged. Nothing a coat hanger and some time can't take care of.

How do you know if never made it to the bilge though? I have a 38, they all use a tri axial grid that I believe is the same, so I'm curious to this thread. Please let me know what you find out.

regards
shaun
1986 38-200

treilley

Sustaining Partner
My 35 is very similar and the area where the knotmeter is has no liner. It is directly through the FG hull only. After removing the sole in the vberth, it also appears that water under this section gets under the liner. It does not drain in the the bilge. Both of these section are forward of where the liner stops which is at the vberth door.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
From what I can tell there is no way to "get under" the grid on an E38. The grid is bonded directly to the hull. There are various limber holes in the grid that do allow water to pass into and out of various grid sections. Likely the amount of water is not enough to make its way back quickly. I am not sure how the forward area you are speaking of drains back the bilge but very likely there is a way. My E38 has small 1" holes drilled low in the grid walls in various locations. Water seems to come and go as it needs to. The only hole I have plugged, with a rubber transom plug, is the hole in the shower sump. This isolates the shower water from getting into the grid system and the shower drain pump works much better. RT

e38 owner

Member III
water up front

I have replaced the floor on my 38.
It is true that water forward of the shower has no way to get back to the bilge until there is a lot of it. If your v berth is like mine the water is most likely
under the drawers

Last edited:

Jason

Fellow Ericson Owner
Here's where I think it went....

I have the sole ripped out right now and there are numerous "pans" that can collect water. None of the pans have any drain holes, the water just sits there untill it evaporates or you heel far enough :egrin:

Check this out for more info - if it helps....

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=4579

Attachments

• 2007 Sailboat 006.JPG
    2007 Sailboat 006.JPG
    111.7 KB · Views: 84