Ericson 38-200 shift lever when sailing

pablo

Member I
So I'm pretty sure that I remember that with the universal diesel engine that I should shift the gear lever into reverse when I'm sailing. Does anyone have a definite answer on this? It would be greatly appreciated as I just bought this 1989 Ericson 38-200 recently. Thanks.

Blue Chip

Member III
So I'm pretty sure that I remember that with the universal diesel engine that I should shift the gear lever into reverse when I'm sailing. Does anyone have a definite answer on this? It would be greatly appreciated as I just bought this 1989 Ericson 38-200 recently. Thanks.

We always do,,, I understand it helps prevent the shaft from becoming ""scored".

you're in luck ...

see the next thread about Kubota blah blah blah. Post #12 has a link to the Hurth Transmission Repair Manual. Check page 29, para 3.5-"Sailing or moving in tow".
If I remember our mechanic correctly, the idea is to not burn up the mechanical clutch.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I always leave it in reverse.

But you gotta love total ambiguity. This from the Universal Motors Marine Diesel Owners Manual that came with the boat:

Universal Owner's Manual .jpg

pablo

Member I
see the next thread about Kubota blah blah blah. Post #12 has a link to the Hurth Transmission Repair Manual. Check page 29, para 3.5-"Sailing or moving in tow".
If I remember our mechanic correctly, the idea is to not burn up the mechanical clutch.

Thanks, Gary. Trouble now is that I have conflicting opinions. I'll talk to the yard mechanic to get a third opinion......but really thanks.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
We leave ours in reverse when sailing.

The Hurth folks say neutral while the Universal folks say reverse.