Ericson 35 ?

I just sold my Ericson 27.
It wasn't even listed for sale, but a guy came by and bought it anyway. I figured it must be meant to be? I really liked that boat but my wife did not, she thought it was too small.
Going this weekend to look at an Ericson 35 (older version) that claims it has been well taken care of. Pictures look good but that usually means nothing.
Any gotcha's with this model or characteristics I should know about or look for? it is a 1977 , same year as my 27 was.
Thanks in advance for any knowledge that anyone may have about this model,
(im looking at other boats as well)
tom

here are a couple pics of her:
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• 5466672_20151204220933114_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5466672_20151204220933114_1_XLARGE.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 180
  • 5466672_20151204220859320_1_XLARGE.jpg
    5466672_20151204220859320_1_XLARGE.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 169

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Tom, I looked at one near me a couple of years ago. It was owned by an elderly couple that had sailed her all over the Gulf as well as trips to Mexico and the Caribbean. It was well cared for.

One thing that the owner pointed out was the forward bulkhead where the chainplates were attached was rotted. It also had soft deck areas in the same locations.

He said it sailed like a dream, was very fast and handled off shore work with ease.
Rick

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Beautiful boat. I used to have an E27 and upgraded to an E35-II as well. I intend to keep my E35 for a good while, even if someone comes down the dock and makes an offer.

:egrin:

Aside from the usual old boat issues (soft decks, deferred maintenance, equipment functional, etc...):

- The chain plates for the upper and intermediate shrouds are prone to leak, and so many of these have rotted bulkheads where the chain plates attach below. I recently had to reseal them after 2 years, and a prior owner has already rebuilt the bulkheads at least once from what I can see. I'd take a look at the condition of those bulkheads.

- Most of the chain plates are bolt-on. If you pull the mast, give some consideration to replacing the chain plates if they haven't already. My boat was "well taken care of" too, but I found a hairline fracture on the bow chain plate. If you have a rigging survey done, I'd take a close look at them. Note that the stern chain plate is the only one that is glassed-in, so it's hard to assess its condition. I took a grinder to mine and pulled it out, and replaced it with a bolt-on chain plate on the stern. Knowing their age and condition would be important to me.

- The E35-II came with a steel fuel tank, and several owners have reported them to be in bad shape. I'm replacing mine in the next couple of months. This was flagged in my initial survey as well, but got the boat anyway. 5 years later, I haven't had any issues, but I also consider myself lucky that I haven't had any. The prior owner later gave me (after the sale) his maintenance records, and I saw that he had some problems with clogging fuel filters from gunk in the tank that his boat yard documented.

- Finally, my boat leaked a bunch at the rudder post gland when underway, resulting in filling the bilge when sailing. Turns out the fiberglass rudder tube (through which the rudder post is inserted) needs to be greased periodically. Later boats had zerk fittings installed to allow one to do this, but for some reason, the E35-II did not. At my last haulout, I installed a zerk fitting and pumped it full of grease. The leak is gone, and it stayed dry down there, even on a recent 500 mile trip down the coast from SF to LA. During your survey, I'd take a close look in the bilge and look for evidence of water ingress, the best indicator being the degree of rusty equipment in that area.

Hope this helps,

Ignacio

p.gazibara

Member III
Great sailing boats

I recently purchased one that I hope to take around the world in a few years. I recently took her out for a 14 day sail up the Puget Sound, across the Straight of Juan de Fuca into Victoria, and then finally across the Straight of Georgia into Vancouver before coming back home.

I can tell you that these boats handle wonderfully, the boat I bought was outfitted to sail the Trans-Pac, so it had been beefed up in a few areas, and stripped of all "creature comforts."

The boat will nearly turn in her length, doesn't porpoise at all when the gusts blow, and I never once experienced any weather at the helm even just before I had to throw two reefs in the main and raise the storm sail up front (after the railing starts to dip, I like to back her off). She also seems to get to 6 knots in a hurry, even when the wind is pretty light. I was even able to get her surfing 6-8'ers at 9.5 knots, she would probably do more, but I am too timid to fly the kite in those conditions.

The issues I have seen in my boat are a leaky joint where the mast meets the compression post, and bulkhead rot where the chainplates used to be (I assume because the area is not original). Fortunately, it has been raining quite a bit lately, so any leaks should be pretty evident.

I also had the unfortunate experience of a cracked exhaust elbow, which hydrolocked my yanmar, so I would take a look at the iron sail as well.

Hope that helps,

-P

Thank you for those very thoughtful answers, that really helps!
it is extra useful to hear from owners who actually have one. i can go in with my eyes wide(r) open having this knowledge.
i am getting excited for my appointment Saturday!
Thanks again,
tom

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
Thank you for those very thoughtful answers, that really helps!
it is extra useful to hear from owners who actually have one. i can go in with my eyes wide(r) open having this knowledge.
i am getting excited for my appointment Saturday!
Thanks again,
tom

She looks great from the outside, which means she was probably taken care of on the inside too. Take lots of pictures and be sure to report back. Lots of super helpful people here glad to engage in two favorite past times: Looking at boat pictures and imparting often hard-earned knowledge.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Photos show average condition, in my opinion. Engine compartment photo--something is spewing oil.

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
See that oil lamp on the port side? It's mounted on the access cover for the port chain plate. There's a similar cover on the starboard side. I'd suggest having those removed to inspect the condition of the bulkheads and chain plates (both sides). In fact, I'd insist on it.

Also, the mounting brackets for what looks like it might be a boarding ladder on the port side seems like a good place (among others) to check for deck rot. It wouldn't be the first time someone drilled into a deck without properly sealing it to prevent water intrusion into the wooden deck core.

Last edited:

TakeFive

Member II
Good Catch! Thanks Christian!
I'd better find out about that for sure. i'm not sure what i (a non-mechanic) can look for or check, but I certainly wont proceed without some answers.
Thanks again,
tom

As Christian mentioned, the oil is coming from somewhere. The fact that bilge is covered in oil is indicative of an owner who didn't look in the engine compartment very often. You can use an LED flashlight and small mirror to check underneath the engine. Pull the dipstick and check color and viscosity of oil. I should not be pitch black and should quickly drip off the dipstick. Bring a rag as there may not be any on the boat.

Running rigging appears to be beyond it's working life. Not a big issue, in fact I'd prefer to replace everything but it's a fast thousand and the offering price if any should be adjusted. It is also an indication of a either a poorly maintained boat or a senior citizen who doesn't sail anymore.

TakeFive

Member II
Main and cover appear to be in quarter birth but genny is still furled, and it doesn't appear to have a UV strip. I would take genny off for a detailed inspection before making any offers.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Everyone, based on their personal experiences and obsessions, attaches significance to different photos. :nerd:
That gunk around the engine got my attention too.

I would note that the manual bilge pump in the cockpit would not pass offshore racing requirements requiring it to be operated while at the helm. That's a "rule" that makes sense IMHO.

Also, in the aft steering well, there is a thru hull on the combing venting something (?) into that area. But what could it be?

Loren

Report back after viewing Saturday:

Report back after viewing Saturday:

I love that boat!
Spent quite a bit of time on it Saturday, after visiting several others it just plain felt good if you know what I mean -- very pleasing to the senses and very comfortable.
I was pleased to find no dampness, even in the winter, no smells, and no signs of leaking anywhere I could find. Reportedly same owner for 35 years, he is now 80-ish and can no longer handle.

I will not be making an offer on that boat, at least at this time.
There was indeed oil under the engine, on the hull and caked on the bottom of the engine. The broker had no explanation for that.
He did say that there was a recent survey. Some other prospect was sure they wanted the boat, ordered the survey, and then backed away saying they had decided not to buy the boat. He said the client was offering to sell the survey but he, the broker, could not disclose what was in the survey due to some kind of privilege that I did not understand. That seemed like a red flag to me.

I could semi-examine the chainplates and bulkheads pointed out earlier in the thread. The one under the lamp, I could see the back side in the head. That side looked perfectly fine. The one on the opposite side I could not find viewing to and did not ask to dismantle the surrounding cabinetry. Those were the Uppers. All the others, the lowers, I could see one side or another through various lockers and cabinets and they looked perfectly fine as well. I would ask for a better look at the uppers if I were to pursue this vessel any further, but the parts I could see were encouraging.

I found no signs of rot anywhere, at least anywhere that I could easily get at.
The bottom paint was sloughing off at the waterline and just above. Not sure what to make of this, obviously I couldn't see the bottom of the boat while in the water.
The dodger material needs replacing. He doesn't appear to fold his sails, the main was stuffed and the cover looked pretty bad.
She needs a good rubbing out and waxing but I didn't see any signs of damage.

Anyhow, she's a no-go for me at this time. Too bad, it's a great design! No wonder other owners love them.

Thanks all for your tips and pointers,
tom

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
He said the client was offering to sell the survey but he, the broker, could not disclose what was in the survey due to some kind of privilege that I did not understand. That seemed like a red flag to me.

Theoretically, and I think in reality too, the broker represents both sides. So you wouldn't expect him to reveal a survey, which is after all just one surveyor's opinion and includes negative info. I wouldn't like that, as the seller.

Brokers recommend interested parties get a survey and often an engine and rig inspection, too. I takes gets them off the hook for that "equipment list" sellers provide, and statements such as "rig renewed 2009". It's also an easy way to spot a serious buyer when boats gets above $30K asking.

So maybe it isn't a red flag. And at that asking price, this might be a good project boat for the right person.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
Oil...maybe

Tom,

We had to replace the oil pan on our Univesal M25. It seems the OEM didn't like living in a saltwater environment. Maybe the oil you saw was from that.
Rick

Ya if I were to do this I would make a low offer and consider it a project.

The engine is a Westerbeke. probably similar to Universal. aren't a lot of these name brand engines just a marinized Kubota?
tom

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
The engine is a Westerbeke. probably similar to Universal. aren't a lot of these name brand engines just a marinized Kubota?

I didn't think Westerbeke branded engines were based on Kubota engines.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I didn't think Westerbeke branded engines were based on Kubota engines.

I find some conjecture on the 'net that the Westerbeke engines are based on Mitsubishi blocks, but have no proof one way or the other.

Loren

Last edited: