ericson 35 mk 3 with modified bulb keel. What's your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carlp130

Looking for input on a 35-3 in which the owners have modified the keel with a bulb (torpedo) Mars Keels I believe

This was a 6'2'' draft and has been reduced to 5'2''. Work was professionally done in Maine.I'm looking for a cruising boat not a race boat.Your 2 cents is appreciated.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have seen several boats with bulbs added to the keel by Mars, and they looked fine--as if the keel had been built that way. I understand that Mars does quite careful calculations to determine how much keel to remove and the weight of the bulb to add, to achieve whatever the objective is--sometimes simply to reduce draft, sometimes to stiffen the boat in stronger winds, etc.

Although I would take a very close look whenever a boat has had major modifications, I would not rule it out based on a modified keel. But I would ask for detailed information on the reason for selling the boat, reason for the keel change (for example, did the boat run aground?), the calculations involved in deciding how to change it, etc. I would also obtain an independent survey with special attention to the keel, keel bolts, any structural damage in the keel/hull joint, etc. Finally, I would take her for a test sail in several different wind conditions--both light and heavier air, to see how she performs under sail with the bulb keel.

Good luck--let us know what you find out, and what you decide.

Frank

Last edited:

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Bulb/modified Keel

I would definitly go along with all Frank has suggested.......

I would only add that I would want to sail an original shoal keel 35-3 as a comparison....

From what I have observed of the shoal keel (mine is the 6'-2" draft) the measurement fore to aft on the shoal keel is greater than that of the deep draft keel.....I would think that the leeway that would be made just on the reduced area, as opposed to the offset in ballast could be substantial....

This of course is something I would be interested in seeing Martin King discuss with his father.....I am not even an engineer, let along a Naval Architect.

My .02 worth in any negotiable currency......

Carlp130

E35 bulb keel?

Mort and Frank, thanks for these ideas. Maybe this is a reason to look elsewhere. Having to guess on how a boat handles in light, moderate and strong wind and seas is probably for a navel arhitect, not myself.When I'm ready to upgrade to an E38 this same discussion will come around again, making this boat a possible difficult sale. The idea of sailing this design in different keel configuations is a good one, maybe sailing a 4'11" draft model next to the modified bulb keel on the same day would tell all. At this time I think I'll sit back and wait for other opportunities on the market. Carl

Mort Fligelman

Member III
E35 Bulb Keel Resale

Carl: You have thought one ahead of both of us......never gave next resale a thought...BUT....when you see a car full of aftermarket junk it immediately says someone has messed with it.....and maybe not for the better......means it bears further looking and thought...keep looking....good luck

Regards

sailingdeacon

Member III
I also called the broker about this boat. I think it is a real pity that he did the modifications, even though the brochure shows a wing keel option. And resale would be a problem just as it is for him now. Just too much unknown here.

Status
Not open for further replies.