Ericson 35 Keel

MikeG

Member I
Is anyone has experience with crack on font keel ericson 35 mk III?
What to expect?

Please see attached pictures.

Thanks,

Mike

Attachments

• Keel_Front_ericson_35-3_2.jpg
    Keel_Front_ericson_35-3_2.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 539
Last edited:

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Make sure to hit the upload button after selecting the file. Also the total size of all images must be less than 256K Byte.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
keel info...

http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=295&referrerid=28

Here is a link to a good prior thread on this site discussing many aspects of this question.
New members at this site are encouraged to click on the "Search" word in the light blue banner above these forum messages --- in this case just put in the words 'keel rebedding' or something related. The search function is easy to use, powerful, and fast.

And, welcome to EY.org! :egrin:

Loren

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Fillet?

Can't tell from the pic, but there is a short fiberglass fillet or stub which forms the top section of the keel shape to which the actual lead keel is bolted. Since this is a "seam" and needs fairing to finish, it is not uncommon to see a crack along this seam..Or is this below that point?

S

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
I had my keel rebedded and the forward 8 inches or so re-opened after a couple of years. The keel bolts don't make it all the way to the front of the keel and when you think about the force of the mast pushing down on the middle of the boat while the stays are pulling up the ends, it seems inevitable that this crack will appear. As long as water is not leaking out of the bilge indicating instrusion to the keel bolts, I don't think there is anything to worry about.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
But Geoff, wouldn't seawater be entering the crack from the outside of the boat and possibly corroding the keel bolts near the crack, even if there is no water leaking out of the bilge?
Frank.

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
That doesn't seem to be the case. When I bought my boat there were brown stains running from crack but the bolts proved to be okay when the keel was rebedded. However, I understand your concern; I am planning to patch my keel crack next Spring with a flexible epoxy made by Petit called Flexpoxy. As you can see from the URL below, Petit specifically recommends it for the keel joint repair. Some on this site have taped over the crack, but I think given the movement inherent in the forward part of the keel/hull joint, such a rigid repair will ultimately fail.

http://www.pettitpaint.com/pet_cds/product_pds/1707620.pdf

Last edited: