Ericson 35-3 Correct prop with Universal 5432 diesel

pbohns

I will be replacing the prop and maybe the shaft, on an Ericson 35-3.
The engine is the Universal 5432 diesel. I have a few questions.
What is horsepower of that engine?
Does the transmission have reduction gear or is it 1-1 ratio? (I'll need shaft speed to calculate correct prop size and pitch.)
What is the size of the prop, assuming 3 blade? - diameter and pitch.
What is the typical prop shaft diameter?

A survey said the prop is shot and probably the shaft. It's in the water and I haven't seen it out yet. I'd like the approximate prop specs, so I can start looking for a replacement. Re-pitching is always an option, as long as the prop is close to the same. The engine starts to run rough in gear, at about 2000-2200 rpms, not wanting to rev higher, and blowing black out the exhaust. I was thinking slightly less pitch or diameter might solve that. It revs up all the way in neutral, without smoke.

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Are you sure you have a Universal 5432? Our 35-3 has a 5424. The 5432 is 4 cylinders and the 5424 is 3. Otherwise they look really similar.

I hadn't heard of Ericson putting 5432s in E35s, but its possible somebody upgraded.

I will be replacing the prop and maybe the shaft, on an Ericson 35-3.
The engine is the Universal 5432 diesel. I have a few questions.

pbohns

Are you sure you have a Universal 5432? Our 35-3 has a 5424. The 5432 is 4 cylinders and the 5424 is 3. Otherwise they look really similar.

I hadn't heard of Ericson putting 5432s in E35s, but its possible somebody upgraded.
Yes, I found the number 5432 on the engine. It's 4 cylinder.
I know how to calculate for diameter and pitch, and can consult with local prop shop, if needed.
But, I want to know what size other people have, so I can start looking for a prop, before it gets hauled out.- maybe find used prop in good shape, or compare price on new ones.

Kevin A Wright

Member III
Not reving up and blowing smoke is a classic sign of being over propped. Can also be bad rings or injectors in the engine as well.
I've got a 1986 E35-3 which had an Universal M25 in it. I use a 3 blade fixed 15 RH 11 prop on her.

Other factor that is very important is not just what engine, but what tranny you have at what gear ratio. I was able to keep my same prop when I repowered with a Beta 30, but had to get a different tranny than stock to keep the prop revs in the right range.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy

pbohns

Not reving up and blowing smoke is a classic sign of being over propped. Can also be bad rings or injectors in the engine as well.
I've got a 1986 E35-3 which had an Universal M25 in it. I use a 3 blade fixed 15 RH 11 prop on her.

Other factor that is very important is not just what engine, but what tranny you have at what gear ratio. I was able to keep my same prop when I repowered with a Beta 30, but had to get a different tranny than stock to keep the prop revs in the right range.

Kevin Wright
E35 Hydro Therapy
Thanks. Is an M25 25 horsepower? The model 5432 is 30 hp I believe - and 4 cyl.

I understand about other factors, shaft rpms, displacement, hull speed. If I knew whether the transmission was 1-1 ratio or a reduction drive like 2-1, I could figure it out, or run the numbers through the local prop shop.

This boat is for sale, and a recent prospective buyer had it hauled out for a survey. The broker is supposed to see if the survey noted the prop size and pitch. He would ask the potential buyer to provide that info. We'll see.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author