Ericson 35-2 newbie owner / repowering question

isesseg

Hello,

I am a new owner of an Ericson 35-2. :egrin: The boat came without an engine ( it used to have a Universal M25 I'm told). I am looking for advice on options for repowering at low cost. I suppose I am looking at an Atomic gas engine? Any ideas of cost involved, or possible alternatives?

thanks

ignacio

Member III
Blogs Author
My boat, along with several others that I know of, were repowered with Yanmar motors. Mine is the fresh-water cooled 3GM30F, which I occasionally see for sale, but it did require raising the settees to accommodate the height of the engine. Don't know if installing an inboard engine can be done for low cost. I've had my E35-II since 2011, and the engine has been great...reliable and trustworthy.

Also, I occasionally read opinions that the standard prop shaft of 3/4" seems small for this boat, but mine seems ok...don't feel under (or over) powered.

Hello,

I am a new owner of an Ericson 35-2. :egrin: The boat came without an engine ( it used to have a Universal M25 I'm told). I am looking for advice on options for repowering at low cost. I suppose I am looking at an Atomic gas engine? Any ideas of cost involved, or possible alternatives?

thanks

MMLOGAN

Member III
+1 on the Yanmar

We have had a 3gm30f of better than 10 years and it has been bullet proof. We use a 1" shaft and a 3 blade prop.

Best of luck with the project.

frick

Member III
Go Yanmar

We have had a 3gm30f of better than 10 years and it has been bullet proof. We use a 1" shaft and a 3 blade prop.

Best of luck with the project.

I went with a Yanmar Repower and it has been 12 years of no issues.
When I was researching the issue, I found that Yanmar was the preferred diesel. Why when install they NEVER come back.

Rick+

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Repower

Take a good look at the Beta diesels. They are based on the Kubota Tractor diesels. Parts are one quarter to one half the cost of the other diesels if you buy them at the Kubota Dealer. They are also very good diesels.
:egrin:

isesseg

engine suggestions

Thanks for all the replies. I've seen reconditioned engines for sale such as a 3-cylinder atomic universal (or something like that) that were pretty reasonable. I think it's the exact same engine that was installed on the boat last. Any comments to the wisdom of purchasing an engine like this?

regards

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I don;t think you can go wrong with an M25 (it's a diesel), if that was the original engine.

Is there a transmission? Fuel tank OK? Original panel still there? Shaft and so on? The more of the old system you have, the better the case for the original engine.

Last edited:

lindaloo

Member II
Repower

Sorry to be late to this thread.

The Universal M25XPB is the model replacing the old M25 and M25XP. Stay away from it. Search this site for multitude of reasons why.

Yanmar and Beta consistently get good reviews.

You may well have to accommodate 4 motor mounts instead of 3 which will involve some fiberglass work.

One advantage of many new engines is they have big alternators and wide serpentine belts to drive them. Volvo come with 115 amp alternators which would make short work of recharging a couple of Group 27 house batteries.

Rob

photobug

Member II
Hello,

thanks

Anybody with an Atomic would love to upgrade to a diesel, me included. But from other websites it is usually suggested to be cost prohibitive. I think you have to replace the gas tank and hoses and who knows what else to make the trade from gas to diesel. I am not sure you would have to do the same going the other direction but those costs of putting in a diesel are not a factor for you. I would look for a diesel replacement for your boat.

frick

Member III
Fuel Tank

Anybody with an Atomic would love to upgrade to a diesel, me included. But from other websites it is usually suggested to be cost prohibitive. I think you have to replace the gas tank and hoses and who knows what else to make the trade from gas to diesel. I am not sure you would have to do the same going the other direction but those costs of putting in a diesel are not a factor for you. I would look for a diesel replacement for your boat.

Greetings,
When making the upgrade to a diesel I was able to reuse my fuel tank. Pulled it, Sprayed it out with a power washer, and it worked just fine. I also get 30 percent better gas mileage. You will have to re hose, because most diesels have a return hose to the tank from the engine.

Rick+

Last edited:

isesseg

Thanks to all who replied. Unfortunately the purchase of my E-34 fell through when the seller started making more demands and whatnot. I am now considering a E-27.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hello,

thanks

I put a Westerbeke Diesel - Model 20B in my '73 E-32 Mk2 to replace my old and VERY worn out Atomic 4 due to the salt water usage finally and severely rusting her out back in '91.

Best move I ever made! ...The dealer was Hansen Marine out of Marblehead, Mass. The replacement engine was a fresh water cooled system that provides amazing piece of mind regarding maintenance and reliability in knowing it WILL start and keep running - no matter what!

The salesman was really straight forward and interested in what I really needed! ...Also, I was set to purchase a larger model but after asking me multiple questions stated I could get by with a lesser sized engine and "Why spend the extra money?" (Blew me away with his honesty and integrity!)

This engine outperformed my Atomic 4 and has been a reliable and maintenance free engine ever since. No more carburetor/fuel or electrical/distributor problems ever since! The Westerbeke uses a fuel rail so you don't have to worry about air bubbles in the fuel line.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - the 20 B Westerbeke fit right into my old A-4 spot with a mere changing of two of the motor mounts to their upside down position!!! ...OTHER THAN THAT - A PERFECT FIT!!

Other than that I DID put in a "Last Drop" Shaft Seal and a nylon spacer as a vibration dampener which I highly recommend if you have the space.

FYI - - Converting to diesel, you will need to replace or most likely modify your fuel tank to handle a return line for the fuel from the engine given it uses a fuel rail (NOT that hard to do). It also required a new prop given the diesel engine speed/torque is different from the A-4.

My boat speed under power improved and the range per gallon of consumption doubled. With the A-4, I could go for about 24 hours. (1 gal. per hour on a 25 gallon tank - NOW I get about double!!)

Good luck with your choices!

Fair Winds!
-kerry

supersailor

Contributing Partner
Repower

If your gasoline fuel tank is mild steel, REPLACE it. It will rust out with the higher water content (etc.) of diesel. My SJ26 had a mild steel tank that I was going to reuse. I decided to replace it as I figured out how to get more fuel in the space. On the bottom of the tank (for goodness sakes) it had in raised letters DO NOT USE FOR DIESEL. No one could read it. I would have changed the sender to add a return port and moved on. I don't know why I added more fuel because the little Volvo Saildrive doesn't seem to use fuel. The 19 gallons lasts several years. Most tanks that cannot use diesel should say somewhere on them not to use with diesel. Any boat that had a gasoline engine in it should have the tank checked prior to converting to diesel. Hopefully, the warning will not be on the bottom of the tank like mine was.

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
If your gasoline fuel tank is mild steel, REPLACE it. It will rust out with the higher water content (etc.) of diesel. My SJ26 had a mild steel tank that I was going to reuse. I decided to replace it as I figured out how to get more fuel in the space. On the bottom of the tank (for goodness sakes) it had in raised letters DO NOT USE FOR DIESEL. No one could read it. I would have changed the sender to add a return port and moved on. I don't know why I added more fuel because the little Volvo Saildrive doesn't seem to use fuel. The 19 gallons lasts several years. Most tanks that cannot use diesel should say somewhere on them not to use with diesel. Any boat that had a gasoline engine in it should have the tank checked prior to converting to diesel. Hopefully, the warning will not be on the bottom of the tank like mine was.

Good point! ...My original galvanized tank only lasted about 6 years and the bottom rusted out from being in the Florida/salt water environment. I went to an aluminium 1/8" tank and it's still doing fine today!