Ericson 33 vs 38 in terms of internal space for maintenance tasks

K2MSmith

Sustaining Member
I have no plan at the moment to sell my 33RH. It is the perfect size boat for our needs . If there was one challenge I have with this boat is the lack of space ( especially in the engine compartment and under the cockpit) for maintenance tasks . I’m still pretty fit but as I get older, crawling around in a very tight space with my 6’2 frame is not going to get easier . The “boat yoga” requirement is at a pretty high level for my boat:) . I’m even wiling to pay a hand , but it’s not easy to find people ( surprised? ) , so I do as much as I can myself . I’m wondering if a slightly larger boat would make much difference? A E38 could be an eventual possibility and it even fits in my current slip . ( there is one across from me ). Maybe all boats are going to be the same in this regard until you move up to one with an engine room .. :) I would imagine my question also applies to the 32 vs 38 since my boat seems to have similar interior space as a 32 even though it is a foot longer . The 33RH is fundamentally a different design than the 32 or 38 .

Last edited:

Nick J

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
I can't speak for the 38, but its close sibling the 35-3 has limitations for access as well. It isn't really a volume issue, things are just awkward. I'm constantly struggling to access areas behind the propane lockers, specifically on the port side. The engine compartment is tight on both sides, but there's room behind. There's also a few nooks and crannies that you can see, but there's no practical way I have found to access. The area under the trash bin houses water fittings, but they're next to impossible to get at. I'm sure there's much worse designs out there, so I can't complain too much.

It's all a tradeoff and being in a 33-38 foot package the tradeoff for living space, large cockpit, good sailing performance, etc. will have a larger impact on access and storage than larger boats. I looked at a 33 a few years ago and I remember thinking it had more storage space at the cost of living / open area. I wonder how that affects access. My general take away is they don't use the extra 5' to increase access, but the living space increase would be noticeable.

For comparison, I'm 5' 11', in decent shape, and horribly inflexible.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In general, I find that the EY boats with an aft cabin will have better engine access via removable lids or doors that you can get at from those aft cabins. That has made a huge difference for out O-34. My friend has an '86 E-38-200, with the mid ship engine under the galley counter. His access is pretty good via a large side panel, and for anything major he could remove the galley sink which is above the engine.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The 381, and probably the 38, have pretty limited engine work space. The sides of the engine compartment are very close, with side access panels that provide meagre access. Fore and aft is fine. Removing the cosmetic front panels helps.

The 32-3, with its removable engine box, was easier to work on.

.Universal 5432 Thelonious II  (23).JPG...1-diesel 2020 2 .jpg

Otherwise, the 381 feels spacious, with its big head and shower, expansive V berth, full nav station and excellent galley with storage. Of course it doesn't compare in space to any Clorox bottle, but you don't feel constrained to stoop or bend. Big deal for older people.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I am impressed that you found room to install a Racor 500 in either of those crowded compartments! :)
On the subject of comparing ratings, both the 38 and 33RH are good light air boats, but I would guess that the 33 is the faster of the two; the 33RH has a reputation for light air speed.

driftless

Member III
Blogs Author
I have nothing to compare to, but have spent an awful lot of time in the guts of my 38-200 and have found access to be all around reasonable. I could get under and behind the propane locker without much trouble to replace all of the port side above waterline through hulls (6 of them) and install an additional cockpit scupper. Getting into the anchor locker is very tight, but I was able to get my shoulders in to be able to get at the bow light wires. The cockpit locker is quite comfy while working on the water heater or holding tank. The tangle of head plumbing is tight, but removing the sink basin makes it doable. Through hulls, plumbing, and wiring under the galley sink are awkward, but manageable with the drawers removed.
From looking at Christian's pictures I feel engine access is maybe a tiny bit better? At least it looks like there's a little more clearance on either side. Can't find a picture of my own though.
But I'm also only 5'8" and fairly spry. And I always end up with bruises.

southofvictor

Member III
Blogs Author
I’m 6’ and 200 lbs and found plenty of room to replace those same above water line through hulls behind the propane locker on our 38-200. Tons of room to work in cockpit locker. So far I’ve found engine access is tight but manageable. Port side access better than starboard because of hatch in aft cabin. Wiring chases are tight and wires are stuck in places so we haven’t been able to use old wires as messengers for new ones when we’ve replaced bow light wires for example.

maubin5

Member I
Yes the 38-200 has lots of storage compartments and access to everything farily easy. I did replace the diesel heater and the exhaust pipe I have to say at first I couldn't see how I could replace the exhaust going thru the space located in the stern but was able to get thru the seat opening and you get down below it is like an apartment, lots of room and it give you access to many systems. Same with space in the lazarette, where you would have battery bank, hot water tank, water reservoir fridge compressor and other things. The engine compartment is under the ladder and fairly accessible from 3 sides via shower, aft birth and main cabin.