Ericson 32-2 Engine & Damage Question

benjiem86

What are you guys thoughts on this damage on the bow? Big deal? Also I cant seem to figure out what engine this is. It's different than what sailboatdata says it is.
Need to know, I'm highly thinking about making the purchase. Also, does anyone have a trailer design for this?
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 01515_334xWHilC1_1200x900.jpg
    01515_334xWHilC1_1200x900.jpg
    282.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200426_142113.jpg
    20200426_142113.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 20200426_144602.jpg
    20200426_144602.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 53
  • 20200426_144626.jpg
    20200426_144626.jpg
    142 KB · Views: 47

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Hit something pretty hard, but that's what the pointy end is for. Have a look inside and on deck for trauma damage, if not it's just an interior patch or maybe just an exterior fill and fair.

Is there a broker listing we can look at? What model is this?

stem .JPG

benjiem86

I think it's a 32-2 (?)

Just a few pics there.

Attaching more pics

And idea what engine? I'm thinking of skipping the survey for now because of budget reasons. I need to figure out a way to haul it a couple hundred miles. Seems like a good deal to not pass up, right?

Attachments

• 20200426_140140 (1).jpg
    20200426_140140 (1).jpg
    476.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200426_144138 (1).jpg
    20200426_144138 (1).jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20200426_144140.jpg
    20200426_144140.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 31

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Engine still a mystery. Three cylinder diesel, but who? Didn't Perkins once paint their engines blue?
What year is the boat (asking because these had a long model run) ?

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
I'm thinking the first question is not what engine it is, but whether it was installed AFTER the boat was filled with water up to the settee tops. Hurricane boat?

Lots of blue-painted motors offered from China but I don't know anyone who has tried one.

benjiem86

I don't know the year.
I was told it has not been in the water since 1990. Sitting in Greenville SC so that rules out the recent hurricanes at least. The sliding hatch has been broken at some point for a while which probably caused the water line mark from heavy rain and negligence. Do you all think its worth the 1500 with the mystery (probably chinese) engine?

nquigley

Sustaining Member
Remember - buying the cheapest boat is a pretty sure way to vastly over-pay for a boat. For a few $1000 more, you'll find a similar boat in a much more 'restorable' condition - likely with several things actually working, maybe with sails, etc.
That very last picture suggests that water stood about 1' deep in the saloon at some time (water damage on forward cabin door). You can be pretty sure the engine was awash too. Are you able to turn the engine by hand? if not, it may be irreparably seized. A trailer for this boat will be very expensive ($12-15K?). Paying to get it transported several hundred miles will cost about $5K

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
For a certain kind of handyman who wants to buy a boat slowly, $1000 at a time, over several years, this could be the first $1000. But the total cost certainly wouldn't be less than buying a boat that's in decent condition today. But you know, there's all the fun months of boat-building...

benjiem86

Yea, the transport is the bummer for the buck$.
Owner supposedly has all the rigging, sails, cushion, etc in storage, so it probably would have been ready to sail with clean up, minor repair, and a working engine.

debonAir

Member III
It almost looks like a Kubota block based Nanni, but Nanni would not do such a poor job. Look at the alternator bracket. Looks like the belt is tensioned by unscrewing a bolt that pushes out on the alternator body. Wonder what Mainsail would have to say about that.

The ding on the bow is probably the least of your concerns with this boat. That's the strongest/thickest piece of hull. The interior will need a lot of work (or thrown out and restarted. The engine is not original, but seems sketchy. Unless the rig/sails/cushions/etc. are in great shape and it doesn't need much in electronics, you will probably end up paying more for this than if you bought one in good shape. That's not a knock really, its a fun hobby and takes care of pesky things like cash and time. Most here seem to like working on boats as much as using them and this is a ticket to boat repair.

Do the owners have any paperwork on the boat/engine? $1500 is "scrap" price for the lead in the keel and any usable parts. If the owner has any emotional attachment to seeing her sail again you could probably talk them down to 0, vs it becoming ground up for asphalt filler.

nquigley

Sustaining Member
I agree - $1500 is probably it's scrap value - maybe offer to haul it away for free (not free to you, of course!) or some nominal amount like $100. The owner is likely paying the marina a monthly fee. If he/she has already gone into the red and owes the marina back-rent, then the marina will be glad to get rid of it and avoid the hassle of having to gain legal ownership of it as 'abandoned' property, before he can sell it for scrap.

benjiem86

You guys are awesome. I think at this point I'm going to pass on this sailboat and keep looking for my dream boat.
I'm so glad I came here and joined. Otherwise I would still be losing sleep asking myself if I'm making the right decision. I seriously only got 2 hours of sleep last night thinking about this. Yea, i know, its sad. You all are so helpful I'm going to keep an eye out for an Ericson to purchase and work on restoring just so I can stay in this forum. I have plenty of books on boats and sailing but nothing compares to a community of knowledge.

1911tex

Sustaining Member
I would certainly make them an offer...they pay you $10k to take it off their hands. Otherwise, absolutely without a doubt...no go. I don't think parting it out would cover 1/4 the cost of moving it.

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
With that much water inside the bulkheads will be rotted, meaning it basically needs all new wood inside. As others noted, it will be surprising if the engine turns over. Glad you are passing on this one, as it's the kind of boat owners have to pay to have hauled away. Some scrappers bring a trailer and others will chop it on the spot. You'd be shocked at how fast a boat or big airplane can be cut up and gone. In a year the keel will have been melted down, all the hardware sold on Craigslist or lost in marine consignment shops, and the rest cut into small enough pieces to be allowed into a County landfill.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In case this poor horse is not yet completely dead... I will relate the story about our little yacht club having to "repo" an abandoned Ericson 25+, last year. The interior had several inches of rainwater and pastures of mold. No OB, and part of the bracket was missing. We did our due diligence and advertised it for a public auction. We had 3 lookers, and two said it was just too much of a project to take on, the last guy bought it for $100.
Given its pedigree, this was so sad, on several levels.
But, it happens that way sometimes.
:(

On a better note, there were a lot of E-32-2 boats built, and they sail well and have an interior suitable for a tall person, like 6'3" -- that's rare. (I have a tall friend that has owned one for decades and sails it a LOT.)