Ericson 30+ trailer

John Davey

I am having a trailer built to haul a 1983 Ericson 30+. But I can't seem to fine any specifications on the hull dimensions and recommended load bearing areas for the trailer screw pads. The trailer manufacture cannot build a trailer without this infomation.

I have gone to Pacific Seacraft and they don't seem to have these specifications.

Does anyone know where I might find such information or have any suggestions? One obvious way is to make hull measurements on a hauled out Ericson 30+ but neither I nor the manufacture have access to a hauled out boat at this time.

In the process of purchasing my first sailboat,

John

Jeff Meier

Member II
have the boat hauled for a survey and get it measured then. the surveyor should be able to suggest load bearing locations. you can surely make arrangements for the boat to stay in the water where it is presently kept until the trailer is fabricated..

Art Mullinax

Member III
Same here?

I'm sure someone will correct me as I'm usually way off base but the uprights really don't support the weight of the boat (some maybe).They are there to keep it from tipping over.
I'm in the process of building a trailer for my E29. I have the axles under it and I'm in the process of cutting my pipes and braces for the uprights. I laid out the frame with crossbracing and went from there. The 4 uprights in the center section (2 on each side) are evenly spaced so that the front 2 will contact the boat somewhere around the cabin bulkhead near the front of the keel and the back 2 will contact close to the front engine mounts. I will have 2 more forward to help with the bow and 2 more aft to support the stearn for a total of 8 uprights.
Something to consider though, Folks that move boats for a living don't have a specific trailer for a specific boat. They pull up with a trailer, load the boat and leave. With all of this keep in mind that my trailer will carry the boat about 100 yards per year.

escapade

Inactive Member
30+ trailer

I had built a trailer for my 30+. Worked real good. I had the deep keel version (5'11") so I positioned the keel between the axles in a "pocket". Lowered the CG and kept the OA height under 12'6". I had 3 pads positioned on each side, 1 amidships, 1 forward of the leading edge of the keel and 1 about 3'6" behind the trailing edge of the keel. Also had a bunk on C/L forward of the keel (same place as the shipping cradle supported the hull. I'll be getting over to my dad's to work on the boat this weekend and can take some more precise measurements for you. Presently have my E34 on the same trailer (with some modifications). Hope this helps you put.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

escapade

Inactive Member
cost of trailer

I originally built the trailer in 1988 for my E27. Prices for steel then were about 50% less than today. Cost then was $1,200.00 for steel & 2 house trailer axles w/tires & brakes. I would figure double that just to be on the safe side. Built it in my pole barn using 225 amp Lincoln welder & acetylene torch and several boxes of "engineering fluid" (usually of the Anhauser-Busch family). Had use of a tractor w/front end loader to move it around while building. Main framing is 2X6X3/16 wall steel tubing. Used 2X4 tubing for gussets & 2 1/2X2 1/2 for the pads. Trailer weighs 2,000+ lbs. If your interested I can give you some measurements and send some sketches. A doable project if your somewhat handy but not for the weak of heart as you will be pulling a load that is twice the weight of your tow vehicle! Remember you'll need to keep the weight slightly forward. The tung need to be heavier than the rear to keep the "tail from wagging the dog"! About 10% is minimum which would be about 1,200 lbs tung weight. A 3/4 ton P/U or Suburban type tow vehicle is about a minimum. Hope this answers your questions.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

John Davey

Thanks for your information on building a trailer, it was helpful.

If you have any sketches or design specifications, they could be helpful. I sent you my contact information in an e-mail.

Right now my intentions are to perform hull measurements on a haul-out of the boat. I will measure all dimensions of the keel (height, length, thickness, and the vertical axis for the center of mass). I will decide on a support point position near the front end of the keel out toward the curvature of the hull where it supports equally the boats downward and outward forces. I will do this for two other supports, one near the back of the keel and one in the bow area opposite the forward bulkhead. Finally, I will identify a support in the stern area opposite the center of the engine but positioned so there will be more downward force vs. outward force. For each of these supports, three measurements will be made- horizontal distances from hull centerline and the keel center of mass vertical axis. The third measurement will be the vertical height above the bottom of the keel. These four support positions are assumed to be symmetrically the same on the other side of the boat.

When building the tri-axle trailer, the bottom of the keel will be over middle axle. This position will be fore/aft adjusted so about 7% of the trailer weight is on the tongue. Once this is set the adjustable bow-stop will be fixed.

What do you think,
John

rssailor

Trailer

John,
Please make sure that when the boat is loaded, that you have at least ten percent tongue weight. I trailer my Ericson 25+ and had problems towing the rig due to the fact that the boat was not far enough forward to get ten percent tongue weight. Yes support in front of the keel and one even with the center of the keel and one aft around where the engine is and maybe another set further aft by the rudder. Also try to get the trailer built, so that the boat will sit as low as possible on the trailer.
What are you planning on doing for a tabernacle for the rig. An idea as to what kind of tow vehicle you are thinking of? Ryan Moonglow Ericson 25+

John Davey

Yes the basic specs are in the Documents section. I was looking for more detail such as boat widths at close increments along the length of the boat, specs on the radius of curvature of the hull, fore/aft center of mass, width and thickness of keel at top and bottom, etc.

John

John Davey

My understanding is that with a tri-axle, as opposed to a tandum, 7% is an adequate tongue weight. In order to figure the % of weight on the tongue, at the trailer design stage, it would be helpful to know where the fore/aft center of mass is. Would this be a vertical axis through the fore/aft center of the keel?

John

John Davey

A sailplan/lines drawing for the Ericson 30+? I don't have this. Does anyone have one of these that could help me out?

When I spoke to Pacific Seacraft, they were friendly enough but said they have a limited amount of documentation on the old Ericsons. I will contact them again to see if they have a sailplan/lines drawing for the Ericson 30+.

John