Ericson 30+ Roller furler

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
When I purchased Discovery in 2014, the survey stated the furler worked stiffly.

This past weekend, she bit the dust. I was unable to fully unfurl and then once unfurled, unable to furl. Ended up dousing and stowing the Genoa.

manufacturer: Hood
model seafurler

Turns out my brother had a brand new in the box furler that was purchased for a 30 foot C&C over a decade ago.

Because I am the older of us, I convinced him, he owed it to me for all the wisdom I have imparted over the years.

Free is Free

MJS

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Mark,

If your headstay is more than 10 years old (or maybe of unknown age) seriously consider a new headstay when you install the new furler.

I'm in the initial planning stages of replacing my standing rigging and if you can do it in stages it takes some of the sting out of the process.

Mark

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
good advice

Hi Mark,

If your headstay is more than 10 years old (or maybe of unknown age) seriously consider a new headstay when you install the new furler.

I'm in the initial planning stages of replacing my standing rigging and if you can do it in stages it takes some of the sting out of the process.

Mark

"What Mark said"

1- Headstay of uncertain age.
2- New furler will probably be left up until (and after) the boat gets a new owner someday. :rolleyes:
3- Now is the Most economical time to install a new stay, which will then be out of sight and out of mind.....

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Loren/mark,

Thank you for the advice:

Reading from the Brochure

Hood 253 seafurl-5
INCLUDES.... and complete headstay with turnbuckle and mechanical fitting.

Looks like I am having a headstay replaced.

MJS

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Finally got things moving with my replacement roller furler

The Freebie that was offer was made by CDI in Canada.
However, after working with my Rigger and CDI I received the following comments from my rigger, and I trust my rigger.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CDI really isn’t a furler we usually recommend, it’s a bottom end of the line furler that was really designed for a small 20’ boat.
They make them as you know for larger boats but they don’t really work well.

We are huge fans of Harkens, you have two options with these MK IV or ESP. Ill attach two articles to show you the difference between the two.

ESP:
https://www.harken.com/article.aspx?id=19618
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]

[FONT=&quot]ESP Jib Reefing & Furling Q&A[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]www.harken.com[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Fewer components make the affordable ESP furler quick to assemble and easy to use, while providing the same styling, durability, and low maintenance bearing system of our performance line.[/FONT]

<tbody>
</tbody>
[/FONT]

MK IV
https://www.harken.com/furling/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original equipment had two slots but I nver used more than one, does anyone have any suggestions before I spend the money?

MJS

markvone

Sustaining Member
Mark,

What is the cost difference? I have a Harken Mk 1.5 that I guess is from +/- 1991 (10 years after boat was new) so it would be approx. 27 years old. Still works fine.

So, consider the furler a long term item. I agree with your rigger that a cheap, undersized furler is a bad idea.

Also, how do you use your furler? How much do you use a partially furled jib vs switching to a smaller jib? Do you just use the furler to stow the jib or use it with a 135 as a reefing device? The more reefing and use you plan, the better furler I would get.

Don't forget the forestay. Replacing one stay at a time is painful but doing them all at once is worse. Breaking the mast could total a boat, even with insurance.

Mark

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
MK IV is a double groove, ESP single.

My current rig is double, but being a novice, I only have one Genoa and never used the second groove.

If I ever get away for that dream sail to the islands, having a second might be added value.

MJS

markvone

Sustaining Member
Hi Mark,

I just re-read the Harken info on the two furlers. The MK IV has the aero shaped foil slightly better for racing, I'd say not noticeable cruising. The double groove is also for racing. You raise the new sail with the old sail up, then drop the old sail so you never sail (race) without a jib up. Not needed for cruising. I've got the double groove and I've never used both for a cruising jib change. The ESP round foil allows the headstay to be pulled through for repair/replace without messing with the foil. The aero foil is too small and is probably always fused into one piece over time so you cut the forestay (destroy it) to remove it and save the foil. So I would say the ESP round foil is better for cruising. It's probably stronger so it can take more abuse.

I don't think there is much difference in quality and therefore longevity between the two in terms of bearings etc. The MKIV removable split drum is for racing.

The only reason to seriously consider the MKIV, for cruising only, is the independent swivels which get you a better partial furl. A lot (most) cruisers use a single 130-140 furling genoa designed to be partially furled down to +/- 100. You will get the best shape when partially furled with the independent swivels and a sail designed with a foam pad in the luff to wrap the extra material. This improved sail shape is mostly important going upwind. As you move off wind, it becomes less important. Since most cruisers avoid going upwind if they can (use motor, go different direction, wait a day), you can see why the ESP has a place in the market. If you have a small, heavy air jib (80 - 100) for windy days and as a backup, you can change jibs at the dock (what I do) and go out sailing or sail home all day at the end of a week long cruise on a unusually windy day.

Mark

gkjtexoma

Member II
Finally got things moving with my replacement roller furler

The Freebie that was offer was made by CDI in Canada.
However, after working with my Rigger and CDI I received the following comments from my rigger, and I trust my rigger.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CDI really isn’t a furler we usually recommend, it’s a bottom end of the line furler that was really designed for a small 20’ boat.
They make them as you know for larger boats but they don’t really work well.

We are huge fans of Harkens, you have two options with these MK IV or ESP. Ill attach two articles to show you the difference between the two.

ESP:
https://www.harken.com/article.aspx?id=19618
[FONT=wf_segoe-ui_normal]

[FONT=&amp]ESP Jib Reefing & Furling Q&A[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]www.harken.com[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Fewer components make the affordable ESP furler quick to assemble and easy to use, while providing the same styling, durability, and low maintenance bearing system of our performance line.[/FONT]

<tbody>
</tbody>
[/FONT]

MK IV
https://www.harken.com/furling/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The original equipment had two slots but I nver used more than one, does anyone have any suggestions before I spend the money?

MJS

Hello Mark,

I finally found a rigger near here and was thinking about the Harken in place of the CDI I now have (without the scaaaaaarce 'cam-activator'). The rigger talked me out of the Harken and into a CDI FF9 with a horror story about a Cal 27 he worked on that had a fairly current Harken madel that somehow lost the plastic spacer on top. When the owner went to furl the sail the metal piece left severed the forestay (he must have used lots of force with his winch and the headstay may have been very old and on its last legs). The result was a downed mast.

Anyway I'll be getting an FF9 installed next Friday along with a new forestay as recommend herein. Since Freeform resides an sails on a lake, I don't think I need a heavy-duty, more expensive furler. The CDI was rated fairly high by Practical Sailor in a comparison of furlers a while back.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
For the record, Harken are a proven company whose furlers do not cause masts to fall down.

Riggers, however, have been known to make masts fall down.