Ericson 30+ cockpit enclosures

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Al,
My traveller is located on the cabin top directly in front of the dodger. I have slots cut into the dodger to bring the traveller lines aft into the cockpit, as all my lines run aft. If you meant that Mark's traveller is on the bridge /step in the cockpit, the dodger also would not interfere there. So maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't see how the traveller would prevent installation of a good dodger on the E30+.
This issue has come up before, and I can only assume that different years of the E30+ had minor differences that affect dodger installation. On my 1984, #637, it works perfectly.
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dodging things

One thing to keep in mind is that while a bridge deck traveler limits how far back the dodger can extend, it does not prevent you from having one.
We put a dodger on our boat in 1995, and are about to replace it with a full-width "cruising" dodger. The original fabric is about worn out anyway.
Quite a few Ericson's, along with the Olson's, were designed with a bridge deck traveler. It's optimal for sailing, but does restrict how far back the sheltered area of a dodger will extend.

We will likely design something like one I saw on a E-31C @ a rendezvous. Dodger, separate Bimini, and a zip-in connecting strip for when not sailing.

We have been happy with how our narrow "hatch width" dodger keeps ran and spray out the interior, and it will be even nicer to have a lot wider spray stopper for the cockpit inhabitants to hide behind! :)

There are some older threads here with dodger pictures and ideas, so some searching might be in order. It is also enlightening to see how other owners have quite different needs and solutions. Note that Christian crosses oceans with a sturdy umbrella to ward off the elements.:0

Many answers... most are correct... none really 'wrong'.

Wear a hat!

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
1983 Ericson 30+ Dodger

I am inspired to look into "designing" a dodger for Discovery. The next questions are basic... Recommendations for who to work with?

MJS

cooper999

Member II
Thanks Frank, but was referring to the surf/paddle board racks of The Molly Ann (not that your setup isn't handsome as well).

Cooper999,

If you are referring to the stainless steel rails on the top of either side of the dodger, those are handrails bolted through the dodger into the frame. They are very useful as a handhold when leaving the cockpit to go forward either under sail or at dock, and when exiting the boat through the lifeline gate which is beside the dodger.
Frank

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
Aren't those "Magma" brand kayak racks? Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder how awkward it is to sail like that? Not to mention restricting boarding and debarking.
Other than that, it seems like a great idea for those with limited deck space... I've resigned myself to using only inflatables and keeping them below decks.

cooper999

Member II
I also wonder about this (sailing with boards as shown). My wife and I have big (10-12") paddle boards and would love to take them with, but how they'd manage under sail has been a concern/curiosity for me.

Aren't those "Magma" brand kayak racks? Not to hijack the thread, but I wonder how awkward it is to sail like that? Not to mention restricting boarding and debarking.
Other than that, it seems like a great idea for those with limited deck space... I've resigned myself to using only inflatables and keeping them below decks.

L-G Harvey

Member I
I am inspired to look into "designing" a dodger for Discovery. The next questions are basic... Recommendations for who to work with?

MJS

I'd be interested in any solutions you come up with, as the dodger/bimini issue has been one of the major drawbacks of the 30+ for me. My traveller is set up the same way.

I remember a thread where someone had adapted a Taylormade bimini for an E27. I've done a little research along those lines just to try to get some shade in the cockpit, but have not yet taken the plunge. The boom is indeed quite low, which complicates things. That being said, I've seen photos of 30+ with both dodger and bimini, but I suspect they raised the boom.

I currently use tarps and clip-on parasols at anchor, sunscreen, hats and rain jackets while underway!