Ericson 30+ cockpit enclosures

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Calling all Ericson 30+ owners.

We all know the cockpit is small but we all need a little shade in the summer and warmth in the winter. Hence my question, what have you, an Ericson 30+ owner done
to make your cockpit a little more comfortable in heat and cold?

MJS

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have exchanged some emails with this company over the years and they seem to surviving and growing. Their customers are enthusiastic.
While their 'tent' would not be appropriate for when you are under way, at anchor or at the dock it looks pretty good.
Price is good, too. They say that they routinely ship to the US.

We have been edging up to the install of a new dodger and bimini top, and if we go with all of the possible kit of enclosure pieces the current price would likely be 8K or more. That's a lot of $.

We might just get a new dodger and bimini top, and get a Habitant for times at the dock. This would really extend our spring and fall use of the boat.
http://www.habitent.com

Anyhow, just something else to ponder.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
The Habitent is interesting, although if it is not to be used while underway, then why not just use a boom tent? It does have approximately the shape of some of the removable roll-up enclosures I've drawn to tack-on behind the hard dodger. (Which itself only exists as drawings at this point). I think i would attempt to sew it myself before paying anything like $600 for it though! Looks like less than $100 in materials. Much less if made from recycled sailcloth. For that matter, it looks like one could buy a cheap tent from Walmart and cut it down to fit about the same... but no.

I noticed that on Kjell Stave's web page (and similar phenomena on others) after a few weeks of cruising, a "bimini" starts appearing in the pictures, made from pieces of driftwood and scraps of cloth! All sun all the time doesn't work for everyone, it seems. Sadly, where I live, one has to worry about such things as the snow load in the winter.

Glyn Judson

Cockpit protection in the summer and winter.

MJS, I'll attach two examples of seasonal cockpit protection for the E31 that can be easily adapted to yours. The first is hull #55 with a dodger and Bimini which can include zip in, zip out insert joining the two for SoCal summer sun protection and rain in the winter. The second, hull #33 is one with a full enclosure for use on cold days at her home, Vancouver Island, BC. Both configurations are essentially the same with the addition of side curtains on hull #33. It all depends upon how extensive you want the protection to be and how deep your pockets are. None of this is inexpensive! Helpful things to know: 1. When having the Bimini made, be certain to have the front of it at least 1" lower than the back, that way rain or sea spray will run forward and not down the back of your neck when at the helm. 2. I would strongly suggest the use of all stainless tubing and fittings for both the dodger and Bimini as opposed to the use of fabric straps as I have seen on so many midwest and east coast installations. The tubing added surprising rigidity where the fabric lacks the same. 3. The insert on our boat zips into place with four separate zippers that meet in the center enabling one side or the other can be zipped open and flopped over the other when under way on a long passage such that the main sheet with traveler located on the bridge deck can be used. 4. Add twist fasteners to the outer edges the insert so that when flopping one half over the other, it can be secured in place. Hope this helps, Glyn Judson E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey Ca

Attachments

• Hull #55, Bimini.jpg
    Hull #55, Bimini.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 79
  • Hull #55, Catalina #1, 10.15.06.jpg
    Hull #55, Catalina #1, 10.15.06.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Hull #33, #2, Sept, 2007.JPG
    Hull #33, #2, Sept, 2007.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 77
  • Hull #33, Port quarter, 9.10.jpg
    Hull #33, Port quarter, 9.10.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 60

cooper999

Member II
Honestly, nothing. We go nude (the cockpit, that is, not our persons. Enough innuendo!:egrin:). The clearance between the end of the boom (which sits low) and remainder of the cockpit to the aft is too small to make sense for me to install a bimini. I'm not a fan of dodgers, personally. We just lather on sunscreen or wear our rain gear.

Calling all Ericson 30+ owners.

We all know the cockpit is small but we all need a little shade in the summer and warmth in the winter. Hence my question, what have you, an Ericson 30+ owner done
to make your cockpit a little more comfortable in heat and cold?

MJS

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Glyn

I like the enclosures you speak of but let me add some detail.

My wife is not a sailor but she will motor.... she does like a glass of wine with a baseball game on the radio in the evening and an oldies station during the day.

So when it's upper 80's and 90's she cann't join me. I saw a black mesh material on sailrite for screening that offer 90% sun block..

MJS

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Basics

On our 28/2 we have a dodger that provides some meager shade. We also rig a chute scoop from the backstay forward to the dodger for some additional coverage when needed. Mark, I have a spare frame and sunbrella dodger from an 84' E-30 if you're interested. Dark blue in color.

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Dodger

Hi Al,

Good to hear from you.

That sounds interesting. On the 1983 Ericson 30+, the traveler is in the cockpit and in front of the companionway. I would be interested in hearing how the Dodger is

setup so it doesn't interfer.

MJS

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Dodger

Mark, post a photo of the traveler and companionway. I'll take some measurements to see if it will work.

Glyn Judson

Dodger use and bridge deck traveler.

MJS, I too have the same sheeting you are asking about on our E31. The aft end of the dodger does not extend past the stainless support tubes or Sunbrella other than to touch there when the sail is fully sheeted out on a downwind run. This still provides plenty of cockpit weather and spray protection. To add to my previous posting her on the subject, it might be helpful to say that I added a stainless snap shackle between the bridge deck traveler car and the mainsheet blocks. When at anchor or on a mooring with the insert between the dodger and Bimini in place, we move the sheets and boom to starboard and out of the way where it attaches to a D-car on the Genoa track. I hope this answers your question and that you find it helpful. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Gln,

Yes that does answer my questions, can you post pictures of your setup?
This is the best picture of Discovery, a few years ago but it shows the traveler location.

Discovery day 1.jpg

MJS, I too have the same sheeting you are asking about on our E31. The aft end of the dodger does not extend past the stainless support tubes or Sunbrella other than to touch there when the sail is fully sheeted out on a downwind run. This still provides plenty of cockpit weather and spray protection. To add to my previous posting her on the subject, it might be helpful to say that I added a stainless snap shackle between the bridge deck traveler car and the mainsheet blocks. When at anchor or on a mooring with the insert between the dodger and Bimini in place, we move the sheets and boom to starboard and out of the way where it attaches to a D-car on the Genoa track. I hope this answers your question and that you find it helpful. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey CA

The Molly Ann

Member I
30+ has little clearance

Boy is this maybe the hottest topic for 30+ owners. Best that I have heard is people raise the boom to add a dodger. Seems like over kill to make it happen. I have yet to see a 30+ with something that looks like it would work. The boom is just far too low to make it happen. We just to a weekend in Catalina and saw some 18knt wind on the trip home and we wished we had a little protecting just to sit back and enjoy the ride. Anyways I would love to see a dodger set up on a 30+ that seems to work.

IMG_9839.jpgIMG_5249.jpg

mjsouleman

Sustaining Member
Best Solution

For shade from the hot summer sun, a good sized Bimini is the best answer. The 30+ just doesn't seem to have the space where the traveler is mounted on the cabin top or in the cockpit in front of the entry way.

I just my dream boat will be when one of you guys sell your 32 with dodger and bimini in your old age.

MJS

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
My dodger works great on my 1984 E30+ but I don't know how to post a pic of it here. My Bimini is not so great, it feels too low, just clears my head at 5'8" and doesn't give good views of the sails while sailing. It's ok as extra room during a rainy week while cruising.
Frank

bradh

Member II
This only addresses half of your question, the sun.... and then only when at the dock:

The PO of my 35-2 had an elegant boom tent solution that has just been great. He found a nice rain fly to a camping tent (actually nailed the color of gray with navy trim). It has elastic leads with S-clips that clip over my life lines. For the 35-2 it fits perfectly over the boom and covers most of the cockpit and companion way. Very light nylon so it does not trap heat. If it rains, I sometimes still use it, but under the boom and low over the companion way.

Brad

The Molly Ann

Member I
Dodger

My dodger works great on my 1984 E30+ but I don't know how to post a pic of it here. My Bimini is not so great, it feels too low, just clears my head at 5'8" and doesn't give good views of the sails while sailing. It's ok as extra room during a rainy week while cruising.
Frank

Frank, I would love to see photos of them! When you write a post there is a button at the bottom that says manage attachments, just click that and upload a image there. If not maybe you can email them to me? chris.steblay@gmail.com. I think us dodgerless 30+ers need some inspiration!!

Frank Langer

Hi, I've tried to add two pics of the dodger. It really can be done on the E30+ and keeps the crew sheltered in wind, and me dry when I get a large wave over the bow. When sailing, the boom is above the dodger by about 6 inches with the boom vang on. In the pic the boom is raised because at dock I raise it to give us more head room. I also have covers for the vinyl and acrylic windows when at dock to minimize UV damage.
Frank

Attachments

• 20170718_211836_resized.jpg
    20170718_211836_resized.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 65
  • 20170718_211858_resized.jpg
    20170718_211858_resized.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

cooper999

Member II
Those are some sharp surf board (paddle board?) racks. Did you make those yourself or get them elsewhere?

Boy is this maybe the hottest topic for 30+ owners. Best that I have heard is people raise the boom to add a dodger. Seems like over kill to make it happen. I have yet to see a 30+ with something that looks like it would work. The boom is just far too low to make it happen. We just to a weekend in Catalina and saw some 18knt wind on the trip home and we wished we had a little protecting just to sit back and enjoy the ride. Anyways I would love to see a dodger set up on a 30+ that seems to work.

Frank Langer

Cooper999,

If you are referring to the stainless steel rails on the top of either side of the dodger, those are handrails bolted through the dodger into the frame. They are very useful as a handhold when leaving the cockpit to go forward either under sail or at dock, and when exiting the boat through the lifeline gate which is beside the dodger.
Frank

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Won't help Mark

Unfortunately, Mark's traveler is located right as you enter the companionway. Franks dodger, like the extra one I have, would be in the way.