Ericson 29 vs Ericson 28

idearat

Hi folks. We're shopping for a boat, with Ericsons high on our list. We owned an E27 in the early 90s, and loved it... had a great lazy 5-month liveaboard cruise on her in '93, exploring the BC coast as far as the north end of Vancouver Island.

The E29 looks so similar to the 27 in hull form and numbers that we think we'd know what to expect of one (please correct me if I'm wrong!), but a newer (mid-80s) E28 is just coming on the market and we're wondering about the differences. (I believe it's a 28 and not the earlier 28+; won't know until we go see it or the broker gets the details to us.)

Based on the numbers and the general layout of rig/hull/keel, I'd expect the 28 to be a somewhat lighter but stiffer boat, a bit quicker in light airs, maybe a little less comfortable in heavy seas due to the flatter bottom and greater beam. And it may point a bit higher than the 29.

Am I close?? Anything you can add about the differences, pros and cons etc. is appreciated. We're aware of the obvious differences: external keel, fractional rig, cockpit layout etc.

A bit more background: we're cruisers, who sail to be on the water and travel, not for competition (never raced); we're much more interested in a comfortable, safe, solid, seaworthy and seakindly boat than in performance. If we used a chute it would be a pole-less cruising gennaker / spinnaker with a snuffer sock. Our usual sailing grounds (gulf islands, desolation sound) are generally light-air areas, but we could contemplate more ambitious cruises like around Vancouver Island, or Alaska, either of which could involve some day passages in the open Pacific. We sail as a couple or single-hand; almost never with overnight guests or more than 2-3 for a daysail. Oh, and our last boat was an Alberg 37, so we know what a traditional, heavy, full-keel boat feels like too.

Edit: I'm beginning to think the boat is an E28+... the broker mentioned the "very large" quarterberth. Don't know how much that changes things.

Cheers! Perry.

Last edited:

idearat

100+ views and no replies...

...was I too wordy?

Basic question is this: how does the E28 compare to the older E29 as a cruiser?

I'd still appreciate hearing from anyone with thoughts to share.

Thanks... Perry.

Sven

Seglare
Just nothing to offer

Hi Perry,

Sorry to not have replied but I simply have nothing useful to offer. I'm not ignoring your post and hope someone else chimes in.

-Sven

EGregerson

Member III
e28

Hi; I just saw this post. I don't know anything about the 29. But i had an 86 e28 for 6 years. It was a great boat. As far as age, it seems the 70's models are having certain problems that the 80's boat won't have for a few years yet; ie they're newer. the E28 sailed very well; it had a fractional rig; made 6+ knots in good wind. Might have been faster had I known what I was doing. It was 7500# displacement; It was good on the lower Potomac and Chesapeake in 2 feet of waves; the universal 12 had 10 hp; it could have used more power. It had a tiller which made for a very roomy cockpit; the salon was wide; with a double wide pullout, 6'6" long; and the qtr berth was 6'6" long. Nice drop down table which i really wish i had in my e34. The ice box was 5cft; and it had a origo 2 burner alcohol stove. With 4' draft it could go about anywhere on the Bay; up in Vancouver you might want the deeper draft. With the currents I suspect you have up there, you might want a universal 25 (or comparable) if you plan to do much motoring here and there. Good luck in your search.

verbryck

27 vs 29

Can not speak to the 28 but you are mostly correct about your assumption between the 27 and 29. I do feel however that the 27 is a bit more nimble and overall prefer it to the 29. However most 29s I have seen and the one I sailed on are wheel steering opposed to the e27 almost all are tillers and for me this was a big benefit. I still have my 27 and had the opportunity to buy the the E29 I sailed on and opted to keep the 27 even though it would have cost me almost nothing , just something I like better about the 27. After looking at the 28+ brochure it appears that the layout of the 29 and 28 are similar and both have that nice big aft berth. Further, I would be concerned, having had a 22hp engine in my 27 and also owning a small bay boat that has the universal 2 cylinder diesel power may not be up to real motoring. I live in Southern California and regularly try to make a longer weekend over at Catalina by motoring over Friday night and would want something more powerful than that Universal. Depending on how you plan to use your boat this may or may not be of concern. Really I do not think you could go wrong with any of these and I would probably you should choose the one with the best survey to price ratio. Hope this is helpful to you , Regards, George