Ericson 29 sails, information wanted

Jim Morrison

I'm considering a new mainsail for my Ericson 29. I would consider a used one if you have one in very good condition. Otherwise I may well purchase a new one. i have quotes from about $700 to $ 2500. Does anyone have a recommendation for a sail maker? What is the advantage of full battens?
...and thanks for any info you can supply.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Since you live in WA, I would suggest you speak with Tim at UKSails Northwest, the loft mgr.
Be aware that this time of year, no matter what loft you use, is the high (busy) season and there will not likely be any discounts.

Call Tim at 18005637245, per the most recent business card of his I can find...

I have no fianancial interest at all, just a satisfied customer.

As to full battens, they came along as a trendy idea in the early 80's, were oversold, to some extent, and have nowadays (since the mid 90's) retreated to a happier middle ground of having only two full-length battens at the top and two long-but-not-full-length battens on the lower half. This is my take on it... please deposit .02 please...
:)
Seriously, if you go with all full length battens, you risk friction that will hang up the sail on both hoist and drop -- not a good thing. Then you next buy a lower-friction slug replacement system from Harken or a competitor... More money.
:rolleyes:

Talk to several reputable sailmakers about the partial long-and-full batten solution and also a loose foot.
I did this for our new main a few years ago -- works great and was/is a great improvement over the old recut mainsail.

Best,

Loren in PDX