ericson 29 electrical problem

hvantrigt

i have a ericson 29 both batterys are charged everything else works exept no power to controll pannel to start the moter no oillamp indicater blower does not come on in the engine compartment any thoughts ?

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
i have a ericson 29 both batterys are charged everything else works exept no power to controll pannel to start the moter no oillamp indicater blower does not come on in the engine compartment any thoughts ?

A few guesses. Fuse? Check the wiring harness that connects from the control panel to the engine. Could also be a problem with the ignition / key switch.

adam

Member III

Start by checking the power (purple?) and the ground that go to that panel. Then check the switch itself.

Visually, is anything there disconnected, or anything that looks terribly rusty?

If not, get out a continuity/multi-meter and start checking the connections.

Last edited:

Grizz

Grizz
Solelnoid...or wiring/fuse from the solenoid?

A solid 'Yes!' to those recommending checking the ground and using the multi-meter to confirm continuity. But...(isn't there always a 'but'?)...I would have saved 5 hours of stress last summer if I'd started with the simple items first!

Similar condition as described: batteries fully charged w/ nothing at the control panel & switch. Zippo, not good. On a M-25XP, there's a fuse coming off the starter solenoid and wired to the block. If I'd checked this fuse 1st, problem solved in less than 5 minutes. Unfortunately, I didn't know this fuse existed and I began with the complicated and messy stuff first.

Upon inspection, after my 34th phone call and following that mechanic's advise to "...check the continuity from the solenoid; find the red/yellow wire and test it". I found the red/yellow wire and the wire had parted between the solenoid and the fuse! Vibration over 25 years will have that effect.

10-minutes round trip to walk to an auto garage and pay $4.21 for a new fuse assembly and spares fuses, 5-minutes to install and 'vrooooom!', engine fired and we were off. Whew.

Here's a pic of the culprit, part of the 'Rogue's Gallery of Dumb Stuff That's Happened'...

The Leland MI Solelnoid Culprit, cropped.jpg