Ericson 28+

TSUMMERS

I am looking at an Ericson 28+ for possible purchase. Are their any specific problem areas I should examine closely. I would be sailing mostly single handed on the Chesapeake. No racing.

Ed Summers

Gary G

Member II
Hi Ed,

I have a 1983 E28+ and overall it's been a great boat. Dry and solid. I have had to have the [cutlass bearing] strut tightened up, which involved grinding out the glassed-in bolts that hold it in place. Also this spring I had to drop the rudder to add shims to eliminate excessive play there. There are also a few very minor places scattered around the deck where the nonslip has chipped away (largest piece no more than 1/4 inch diameter) and had to be patched. I've had some miscellaneous electrical problems with navigation lights - just aging wiring mostly. Other than the usual wear and tear I have been satisfied and would buy this boat again if I knew then what I know about it now. Mine is set up with most all lines run to the cockpit and is powered by an 11 hp Universal diesel that has been modified to have a fresh water cooling system. My advice is that you examine the boat carefully and have it professionally surveyed like you would any other sailboat. Good luck.

Gary

seizethebay

Member I
Ericson28

Hi Ed,
I have had "Seize the Bay", my 1985 28+, since 2001. I LOVE her. It is perfect for the bay. Of course I have run aground a few times as she draws 5.
I have the Universal 10 which is not that great for getting her back in strong 25plus winds and chop..... slow but steady.
The only complaint I have is with the AC/DC. I re-did the DC and it was a bear to get access to some of the wires..
She sails great and is very forgiving... I have sailed her solo as everything runs back.
Great choice of boats.... If I did not love mine she much, I would offer to sell her to you. Good luck in your search. Lynne:egrin:

Thyme Capsule

E28 mast compression

We are considering purchasing a 1985 E28 and have found gel cracks around the mast step and signs of water leaking. There does not apprear to be compression post around the interior bulkhead.
Where do we find any records of hull # or registration #
Would appreciate any info on these Ericsons as this is our first.

Special K

Member II
E28

We are coming up on the one year anniversary of buying our 1986 E28. So far so good.

We had to update some wiring between the selinoid and the starter. If I had searched this site earlier, I would have found the thread recommending the same work that my mechanic did after spending a couple of hours to diagnois the problem.

Some posts claim that the boat is tender. After a little experimenting, I learned that the E28 is sensitive to proper main trim. Excess draft from insufficient outhaul or vang has a dramatic impact on initial heel. Getting the trim right not only keeps the boat more upright, but she points very well and she is suprisingly quick. We did some "beer can" races and regular out-paced 40 footers with our 20 year old sails!

When looking at the E28, be aware that the E28+ is the older version and the E28 represents the "newer" model.

The compression post is a solid wooden member at the corner of the bulkhead at the head.

Attachments

• compression post.jpg
    compression post.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 1,120
Last edited:

Thyme Capsule

Compression post

Thank you "Special K" Excellent information!

Can you explain in more detail the electrical wiring problem on the starter.

We will be doing a survey shortly and are concerned about gel coat stress cracks and there repair.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
... it's around here somewhere...

Go the the "Owners & Projects" part of this site. Look at the article and downloads for "Universal Diesel Wiring Modifications". That may help.

Cheers,
Loren

SAM

"Nauti Jo"
28 versus the 28+

Hi Ed,

You did not mention the model year of the 28+ Ericson you are looking at.

I sail a 1990 Ericson 28 on the Chesapeake and thought you might like to know that there are 2 different 28' boats that Ericson marketed.

As far as I tell the 28+ was the earlier model and produced up to 1985. It is said that the 28+ was actually a 30' boat cut down to a 28' boat. That model has a beam of 10'6. In 1986 the hull was changed and the beam went to 10'0. From all that I have read the newer models are less tender and better balanced than the older models.

I'm a lazy cruiser and often sail with just my 150% genoa. When the winds approach 20 knots and I can often get 6+ knots with the headsail alone. I am also amazed that with that amount of wind the boat does not heel anywhere near as much as one would expect.

This is my 3rd sailboat over the last 21 years and she is a good one. I have owned 8 sailboats overall in the last 35 years and can tell you without a doubt that you would have to spend quite a few bucks to find anything in this size range that would be any nicer. Also the boat has better than average access to items you need to service on a regular basis. Don't get me wrong though because any boat is gonna have some things that are going to be a knuckle buster to get to if you can get to them at all.

My last boat was a Pearson 323 and is a big boat as 32' boats go. When I decided to downsize I was worried I might be disappointed with a smaller vessel. To my surprise I feel I did not lose nearly as much room or speed as I thought I would. This is a very nice boat!

Either 28 would be a good choice but with all things being equal the newer model should be nicer. I was lucky to find one lightly used and in great shape.

If you haven't chosen a surveyor yet I would highly recommend David Manning out of Annapolis. He did my last 2 boats and his thoroughness will blow you away! He is in his 60's and has been at it a long time. Early on he used to oversee the fiberglass repairs at Hartge's boatyard. If there are any moisture problem areas he will find them. I could go on and on about Mr. Manning but as you can tell I am already having a problem keeping this response short.

Good luck and if you have any questions feel free to call me if you like. My # is 443 392 2245.

Sincerely,

Sam of "Nauti Jo"

Last edited:

Starduff

Member II
E-28+

Hi Ed,

You already have a lot of good information, but I just wanted to add my personal experience. I bought a 1987 E-28 last March. After having crewed on boats from 23' to 34' of different makes I wanted something that would balance cruising comfort with performance. My E-28 satisfied that desire. My wife (who never sailed before) and I love this boat. It is well made, beautiful, quick and roomy. Ok, so I am biased, but it is the truth. Can't wait for Spring. Good Luck on your decision.
Richard

Last edited: