Ericson 28 factory Wiring schematic

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Antenna stuff

The first owner of our boat had tucked an automotive-style antenna up under the headliner under the side deck.
Since the little am-fm stereo cassette player was corroded and dead, I threw away the whole mess. I hear from other boaters that this is a common way to place the antenna, though.
On our prior boat I put the vhf antenna on the stern rail using a shorty antenna with base loading coil. Worked great. Only limitation was in how far we could transmit... less distance to the "radio horizon".

LB

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I hear from other boaters that this is a common way to place the antenna, though.

I also tried a cheap antenna from West Marine that was basically a cable on one end that plugged into the antenna jack of the stereo and a wire on the other. The idea was that you run the thin wire up into the headliner. That didn't work either.

aquavit

Member II
mherrcat;

The stern antenna is the AM / FM antenna, Shakespeare part number 5120. My VHF antenna is at the top of the mast and I don't know if putting a second antenna beside it would interfere with the function of it.

Glenn