ericson 27 keel bolts

Tim M

Hi I am a new member looking at a E27 it's a 1971 and looks to be in very good shape and well maintain. My only concern is the keel bolts, it looks like it has two, but they appear to be rotted away, no nut no washer only a one inch hole about one to two inches deep. If any one could help with information about how the keel is attached and how to make the repair it would be a great help. Thanks Tim M

Glyn Judson

Ericson 27 keel bolts?

Loren & Tim, Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Tim just seeing the remnants of the lifting points for dropping the ballast into the hollow keel? I know for a fact that our former E25+ had that same internal ballast and I recall seeing those rusting "bolts". Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
isn't Tim just seeing the remnants of the lifting points for dropping the ballast into the hollow keel? I know for a fact that our former E25+ had that same internal ballast and I recall seeing those rusting "bolts". Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Yup. That's my take on it, too.

Loren

rgoff

Member III
Don't worry about the keel "holes-not-bolts". That's the same for mine (and I'd guess all the rest). I think I read someplace that eye-bolts (or something like that) were threaded in those holes to use in moving the keel, then taken out.

Tim M

E27 keel bolts

Thanks for the information on the guestionable keelbolt holes, it makes more sense that they would be lifting eyes. But should these holes be dried out and filled. Thanks again Tim M

sleather

Sustaining Member
Ice Cubes

I don't think a couple of ice cubes, that size, will do any damage:egrin:
Just make sure the rest of the bilge is dry!

Last edited: