Ericson 27 engine smell

SteveS

Member II
I own a 1974 Ericson 27 with a Palmer P60 (newly rebuilt), new exhaust system (from manifold to transom), new fuel pump and fuel lines, new blower, etc... Connections appear to be tight and leak free. I believe this engine was factory installed. Probably Ericson bought stock from Palmer when they ceased production. The engine compartment was apparently made for an Atomic 4 which is a little bit shorter. The wooden engine cover was extended about 11/4" to accomodate the extra length causing it to not seal well all around.

Ventilation consists of an engine compartment mounted blower with 3" hose terminating in a transom mount cowl vent. The battery compartment also has a 3" hose (passive) terminating in a transom mount cowl vent. The engine and battery compartment do not appear to be sealed adequately from the cabin. In fact there are about 15 - 1/4" holes drilled toward the aft portion of the floor of the quarterberth. The battery compartment and engine compartment are not sealed from each other. There are access holes cut between them. The one closest to the batteries has a wooden plate to cover the access area but further aft it is open.

The problem is after being under power for some time (45min - 1 hour) the cabin has an oily/faint gas/general engine smell odor. It is not like a strong explosive gas smell. I always run the blower under power. I try to keep the bilge clean which certainly develops a similar smell.

I plan to seal the battery/engine compartment as well as I can from the cabin including the 15 - 1/4" holes. I also plan to install a 3" in-line blower on the passive battery compartment hose.

The question is (whew!, finally!) one of safety.

Am I correct in sealing the engine/battery compartment extra well from the cabin?

Should the in-line blower draw air into the battery compartment while the engine blower blows it out (creating a flow through effect)? Or should the in-line blower also evacuate the battery compartment, which again is not completely sealed from the engine compartment?

Am I missing something?

The goal is to be able to run the engine for a lengthy time without smelling anything in the cabin while maintaining the utmost in safety.

Thanks in advance.

Steve Slaughter

Attachments

• ericson_engine.jpg
    ericson_engine.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 1,850

Jim Baldwin

Member II
wife's number one complaint

Engine odors are a fact of life... You can only completely eliminate them by sticking to a row boat. Gasoline fumes however, are another issue. Track them down and shut them down... Now!

It sounds like your ventilation stuff is probably OK. You at least, have an installed blower system, (I don't have that). You might also try some bilge treatment. A lot of smell can rise from a bilge that has only three little drops of floating gas or diesel fuel, (especially diesel).

You might cut your old Palmer a little slack though... A thirty year- old engine, rebuilt or not, may never smell brand new again.

I think you are going to get alot of different opinions about this... Be thankful you weren't in a diesel submarine during WWll. Those old guys complain they can still smell the fuel in their own skin.

Last edited:

escapade

Inactive Member
Steve;
A couple of thoughts. First, you mentioned that the engine is newly rebuilt. It usually takes 10 to 20 hours of running time for new rings to "seat" themselves to the cylinder bores. Check the breather tube after the engine has run for 1/2 to 1 hour and see if there is any noticeable oil vapor coming out of the tube. Some air is normal but oil mist is not. That would indicate excessive "blow by" or leaking of the rings or valve seals. If it persists beyond 20 hours I would go back and see my mechanic.
Second, was the engine painted @ the time of the rebuild. This could also contribute to the odor. If so, you should notice a decrease in odor after 4 or 5 hours.
Your venting system sounds like the usual set-up. Do you face the intake vent forward & exhaust aft? This may help a little, also.
I owned a 1975 E27 w/Atomic 4 with a lot of hours on it. After running for a while I would notice a slight "oilly" odor, but never to the point of being sickening.
Your installation looks very neat & clean. I hope your problem goes away with a few hours of running time.
Good luck & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade"

Sam Clemens

Member I
engine smell

Steve

What escapade wrote about blow by sounds like it could be your smell.

I would just add if you have a new rebuild make sure when you run it you put a load (in gear) when you run it . The cylinders need heat for the rings to cut the bore to shape.
If you run it with no load or for short periods of time the cylinders can glaze and never seat.

The breather should have pressure coming out but no dark smoke and certainly not oil.

Sam

SteveS

Member II
Thanks

Thanks for all of your input. My rear cowl vents do face opposite directions. I will check the breather tube. The engine has 14 hours on it which have pretty much all been under load.

I am still wondering about placing an in-line blower on the "passive", 3" hose to cowl vent, battery compartment to either act as an exhaust or intake. I am sealing the compartments from the cabin well. On one hand the "flow thru" idea, intake blower on one side - exhaust blower on the other, seems good but perhaps I should simply exhaust the battery side also.