ericson 27 as a Bahama vehicle

Scott Abbott

Member III
As many may know... I have been restoring an E 27 1976 for the past two years. Before i
completely cross the rubicon...
How many E27s have been used as Bahama vehicles from the East Coast?

clp

Member III
I have no idea of how many, but I know there are at least one. I met the couple last fall in the ditch headed south. Younger couple as usual, as I notice that the boat lengths start increasing with the owners age, it seems. Seems to be a fine boat for island cruising, good draft, stable, not a clunker like some I see wandering south. Sorry that doesn't answer your specific question, but you should be in fine company with the E27. I might wander down there in the spring of the year on my 29', I've about had enough of working on boats for "insert expletive deleted here". For the exception of the little standing area in the forepeak, (or the forward stateroom as my bud likes to call it), I see little difference in the boats. Durn sure no reason why I would NOT do it on a 27. It's just a matter of accommodations, and maybe tankage.

Scott Abbott

Member III
Thanks Clp...
I am getting to the point of no return with my E27 as I have invested a great deal to get her where she is. My next big leap is going to be picking up a new A-4 engine this week to replace my old one. I have 90% convinced myself that I can accomplish my goal of getting to the Bahamas some day with my E27. In the end, what I have read and learned about them (and owning her for 3 years now) has made me believe it is doable. So many out there swear a full keel boat with protected prop, and attached rudder is the only way to go offshore, but I have learned that several have gone to Hawaii etc. from California.

kari

Member III
I believe one held the record from San Francisco to Japan for a while . . .I have a 73 and wouldn't think twice about the the boat, just my own confidence . . .

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Well, the easy way is the Intracoastal to South Florida and then jump over to the Bahamas in a day or two. Even the offshore route should not present a problem in the right season. So I see absolutely no reason not to work on and plan on. What other reason to be alive?

clp

Member III
That may be more or less what I do this year. I'm getting upfitted now, and have no particular plan or ultimate destination. I say south, simply because it seems the thing to do. And have made no fanfare whatsoever because who knows, I might get to missing my dog inna week, and turn around and come back. I might not.
Rambled a second there, but I hope to make little outside jumps down that way. Being single handed, I see little reason to push straight through. I certainly don't intend to light the tailfeathers on fire just to get somewhere different and sit on a hook. Anyways, I hope a 29'll do it. I'm sure we both can. I could paddle an inner tube to Bimini..

Scott Abbott

Member III
Well, the easy way is the Intracoastal to South Florida and then jump over to the Bahamas in a day or two. Even the offshore route should not present a problem in the right season. So I see absolutely no reason not to work on and plan on. What other reason to be alive?

Exactly... and thanks.

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
You will need to leave from Government cut Miami or there abouts, crossing the gulfstream will take you north, that way you sail straight east and let the current take care of moving you north rather than sailing from farther north and fighting the current. A friend tried the trip in a Hunter 22 with 12 cases of beer and bad weather, he survived but it was too rough to sail and the outboard got a drink of salt water so he called for a tow ($1800) I told him he should have sank her and called for a rescue at that price.

I would have not question about making the trip in my Rumkin, Joe Waters of Waters sails and Ken Fickett of Mirage Manufacturing are talking about a Mirage 236 gathering of as many Mirage 236s as possible and making the passage. I would much rather be in my e29 then my 23' 6" Mirage, but have no doubt either would make the trip.

Good luck and go for it.

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Going south?

Crossing to the Bahamas is not bad, but keep in mind the "hop" from there to the west indies is a tough upwind slog. As long as you are not on a schedule and make short hops and rest it is not too bad, but most of the trip will be upwind against the trades..I have done it this way a few times and it can be tiring and uncomfortable so breaking it up into short day trips is a good idea (and they are nice places to stop). If the real destination is farther south, sail east for about 700 miles until you pick up the NE trades and then reach along into St. Thomas/San Juan/Tortola, etc. This way you have much more comfortable sailing angles all the way. Figure about 10-11 days doing it this way, probably double that if you hop along making pit stops... I did it in much worse boats than yours!

Enjoy!

Bill Kitchens

Bahama trip

As many may know... I have been restoring an E 27 1976 for the past two years. Before i
completely cross the rubicon...
How many E27s have been used as Bahama vehicles from the East Coast?

Let me know when you get bro Florida, thinking about heading there in my 27.