Ericson 27 and 29 overhead lights

sproption

Member II
I am looking to replace an overhead light that came standard with the E-27 and 29's. I have a bad switch and a cracked plastic cover.

I am trying to keep the boat in as much of it's original form as I can.

Are any available anywhere, or am I stuck with having to go "modern?"

Any input would be great.

Thanks.

Matt

Glyn Judson

Replacement lights.

Matt, I can think of two ways of searching for a replacement light of the type I think you have. If they have a rectangular, brushed aluminum base and rectangular lens of the same size, you can hope that someone reading this has converted from that style to another and that they would be able to help you out. I know that's what I did years ago with all seven of my overhead lights. I bought mahogany base, glass lensed lights, one a week until I'd replaced them all. but alas, I've given all mine away to others like you. There is a small chance that I have one left in the garage but I'd have to dig around to find it if it really exists. OK, here's the second way. Airstream trailers of the era around 1969 had those lights in the head, I know because I have such a trailer, an 18 foot Caravel, and searched long and hard to find that original to replace the modern one somebody had installed. I finally did get a pair and installed them in their appropriate locations. the point her is that you might want to pose your question to one of several Airstream forums to see if you can get any help. In the meantime, email me at glynjudson@roadrunner.com or call the house at 310.453.1892 and bug me tomorrow to tear the place apart searching for a spare that may not even exist. If I find it, it's yours for the cost of the postage. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
If you are talking about the plastic covers that are about 5 inches square and snap onto the fixture I think someone told me once that the same type of lights were used in a lot of RVs. Maybe an RV supply store might have something.

The wiring in these boats leaves a bit to be desired in my opinion. I just replaced my headliner zippers and discovered that the cabin lights were wired using those "clip on" wire spices. Not very substantial but I guess they've worked for 25 years...

sproption

Member II
Glyn and Mark,

Thank you for the tips! Mark, I am also looking for the whole unit...and some of the plastic domes. I have a couple of RV stores nearby that I can look at real quick. Glyn, I shall drop you a line. Thanks so much for your offer!

Matt