Ericson 26-2 Winter Storage on the hard - DIY

acubria

Member II
hi all, my club normally only offers winter storage for our fleet of Person Ensings (23' -3000lb) but this year they offered me a spot too.
I need to provide poppets (boat stands) and take the mast down, but it will be much cheaper than storing in a near by marina. A few friends offered to lend me their boat stands since this is a shoe string operation.

Anyone knows what size boat stands I need ? The boat-stand size calculator from Brownell is telling me to buy:
4x SB1: 6' Sailboat Stands 64"-79" and 1x V-top 64"-79" for the bow.
I think these are really high (64" minimum?) for a 4.92' (59") draft boat? I wonder if any 26-2 owner can share what size boat stands they use?
Also, anyone knows aprox. how heavy my Kenyon mast is ? I might have to take the mast off without a crane and I wonder how complicated this operation will be,

thanks in advance !

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
Arturo - wish I could help, but I winter my boat in the water with an aerator (getting a trailer soon, I hope). I know at last 4 of the other active/semi-active E26-2 are either in California or from their postings seem to winter out on a trailer. Not sure what @vasuvius does. I have the keel measurements and some measurements from the settings on the bunks of a trailer I borrowed at last haul-out, if that is helpful.

Regarding removing your mast, do you have access to a gin-pole, at least? You might find it pretty challenging, otherwise.

Last edited:

acubria

Member II
Arturo - wish I could help, but I winter my boat in the water with an aerator (getting a trailer soon, I hope). I know at last 4 of the other active/semi-active E26-2 are either in California or from their postings seem to winter out on a trailer. Not sure what @vasuvius does. I have the keel measurements and some measurements from the settings on the bunks of a trailer I borrowed at last haul-out, if that is helpful.

Regarding removing your mast, do you have access to a gin-pole, at least? You might find it pretty challenging, otherwise.
thanks Dave. I still have a photo you sent me with measurements. @vasivius was totaled ! so one less 26-2 in the fleet. I do have access to a gin-pole and apparently a small crane, so the mast will come down one way of the other. I will figure something out. It just freaks me out a bit the idea of having a crane pull the boat out, and not have all the right size stands for it .....

KS Dave

Dastardly Villain
Blogs Author
thanks Dave. I still have a photo you sent me with measurements.
See how poor my memory is?? :)
@vasivius was totaled ! so one less 26-2 in the fleet.
I forgot about that... *sigh* There's not really that many of us to begin with.
I do have access to a gin-pole and apparently a small crane, so the mast will come down one way of the other.
Folks in our club have pulled larger masts than 30' with a gin pole and a hand crank. It's all about controlling the shifting balance.