Ericson 23 Trailer

Does any know of a trailer that is for sale?

I am looking to purchase a 78 Ericson 22 located in the Cleavland area, Rocky River, to be exact and need a trailer to transport it 300 mi. to Trail Creek Marina in Michigan City Indiana.

Or does someone know of a trailer that I can rent for the trip?

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Trailer

George~

If you are moving your 23' that has a centerboard. You can use mine until mid July. I'm in Oshkosh, Wi, only 5 hours away from Michigan City, IN. I have an E25cb, I'm almost possitive that it would work for a E23. Let me know I can send you some pictures. The rent of it is that the bearings are repacked after use.

An easy solution is to get a flatbed trailer and just strap the boat and cradle and transport. There are companies that do this to. It really wont be that much if you figure in all the leg work and fuel costs that you will incur.

Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Lost my bearings

Rob Hessenius, The rent of it is that the bearings are repacked after use.

I'd think you'd want to make that arrangement BEFORE the trip, just for safety's sake.;) A total bearing job would sure beat shipping.

BTW, I'd offer you mine BUT it's overdue for bearings AND tires. Kinda concerned about the 1/4 mile trip to the launch.

Congrats on the purchase and WELCOME to the fold, you'll love it! Post some pics!:egrin:

Attachments

• trailer-s.JPG
    trailer-s.JPG
    142.8 KB · Views: 1,491
Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Sleather

Its been a long winter and the bearings are all ready freshly repacked. They are good to go at this point. I think that with all the fuel cost related to driving here to pick up and return and the expence of going out to Cleveland. It will be cheaper to just have it shipped by a marine carrier. IMHO

Trailer, Loan from Rob

I have looked at cost by alternate means and have found them to be excesive like $1800. I would think that $2.00/mi. would do it ($600.00).

I thank you for the offer and will keep it under consideration if I do not find a trailer closer to the boat or one that I can buy at a reasonable price.

Unfortionaly I can not use the stands that the boat is on now as they belong to the Owners Yacht Club. This presents the problem even if I find a hauler.

What is unladen weight of trailer that is on spec plate? My car will only haul 3300 lbs. and 23 is 3200 displacment. Does it have surge breaks?

sleather

Sustaining Member
Trailers

George, Most tandem axle trailers that size will weigh about 800-1,000# so your easily over the capacity of your vehicle. What is it? You may be OK locally w/ what you have once you get the trailer, but "over-the-road" recommendation is about ~2/3 of rated capacity.

It seems to me that w/ both locations being on the I80 corridor and near the water that you "should" be able to find a carrier that's willing to cut you a deal. They don't like empty loads after all. Patience may be a useful tool here. Gas prices have changed(or will) all the "normal" formulas.

Last edited:

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
George

George~

My trailer weighs 1034 lbs and is a dual axle trailer with surge brakes. You don't have a vehicle with enough umph to pull this rig cross country. To be honest it's still a good deal @ $4/mile. I would be looking into these means. It would be nice for you to own a trailer. With the type of boat that an E23 is you can look at alot of powerboat trailers too and modify.

When I load my boat for a week trip it weighs in at 8k with the trailer. I pull it with a 03' F150 and I'm at it's limit.

Boat 5600
trailer 1050
misc 1350

Trailer load

With a 3200+1034+500= 4734 I am over limit and need to find a large truck for towing.

I will continue to look for a alternate. If I can get it here I Would not need the trailer but then I would not be able to attend any Ericson gatherings in the Great Lakes area.