Epoxy Calamity

u079721

Contributing Partner
Hi Bob,
In doing research for something else I came across this stuff:

"Product removes reactive adhesives from a variety of substrates
Reactive adhesives include adhesives that require a hardener or catalyst in order for the bond to occur
Examples of reactive adhesives include, but are not limited to, epoxies, urethanes and silicones
"

But, gelcoat is probably also considered a reactive adhesive.

I don't think it's what I'm looking for, but, FWIW.
Jeff
Yup - that's the product that I was thinking of. It's mostly just a blend of acetone and xylene if you already have those lying around.

Bolo

Contributing Partner
Yup - that's the product that I was thinking of. It's mostly just a blend of acetone and xylene if you already have those lying around.
Thank you all for the chemical suggestions. I'm first going to try the freezing technique, then the heat gun one before going on to any chemicals. I think starting with the least invasive first is the way to go. But I will get it off!

Tin Kicker

Sustaining Member
Thank you all for the chemical suggestions. I'm first going to try the freezing technique, then the heat gun one before going on to any chemicals. I think starting with the least invasive first is the way to go. But I will get it off!
The freezing idea while using a plastic scraper has a lot of merit because there's what's left of last years' wax under that epoxy.

Tuna and other shallow cans are good for mixing, but disposable foil baking cups are cheaper and at any local grocery store. They also come bigger.
51sQCPOTjVL._AC_SL1001_.jpg