Engine Survey [check] just got the results

ofshore74

Member III
So I just had an engine survey done on a 88' E-38 with the Universal 5432 Diesel engine. It has no hour meter. Planning on doing a full marine survey next week but had the engine survey done first to see if there were any red flags. I'm not sure if this is common for a boat this age but I'm wondering what others think, this is one a several things he found, but I think it's the most important.

The Surveyor said the engine appears to have a high crank case pressure (blow by). This is why there is oil leaking out of the dip stick. From what I can tell the dipstick has a loose fit as the rubber seal is quite worn, there's no question the dipstick needs to be replaced just not sure how serious this is or if it'll be a recurring problem with the compression. Anyway he continued to say that high crank case pressure is usually an indication of moderate to high internal wear. And that without the knowledge of engine hours it's a good indication that this engine has seen a lot of use.

Also said transmission oil appeared dirty during sea trial and it's a good indication of clutch plate wear within the transmission. Recommend changing the transmission oil and monitoring the oil for ongoing contamination from clutch plate wear.

Waiting for results from the oil sample should have that soon too.

Anyway for a 28 year old engine is high compression fairly common? And how often in a case like this does an engine need a rebuild or re-power? 3-5yrs? I'm wondering how much time the old girl has left, curious if others have had similar diagnosis on theirs. Or live with it and baby it.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
No insight on blow-by, but the owner must have an estimate of engine hours. Did he buy it with no hour meter?what is his average use per year? Most of our boats have fairly predictable engine patterns. Unless somebody went round the world, or commercial use, 0r other nonstand use, high hours are rare. The owner must know history of the boat (uh, maybe). Sent iPhone.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Did he say that the breather is OK and is not clogged? The crankcase breather should release the excess pressure.

As far as the dipstick, replace it at a Kubota dealer and save some $$ compared to a Universal Marine store. Some blow-by is to be expected in an engine this age.

With respect to the tranny oil, that is a bit of a concern. In the sea trial, put it through its paces; from a dead stop, put it in gear and give throttle quickly. Will the prop "bite" and the boat accelerate, perhaps with just a bit of squat to the rear end? If so, no slippage. New oil & OK to go.

ofshore74

Member III
No insight on blow-by, but the owner must have an estimate of engine hours. Did he buy it with no hour meter?what is his average use per year? Most of our boats have fairly predictable engine patterns. Unless somebody went round the world, or commercial use, 0r other nonstand use, high hours are rare. The owner must know history of the boat (uh, maybe). Sent iPhone.

He claims 100hrs a year, so roughly 28 yrs (assuming the previous owner did the same) 2800hrs - 3000hrs. The engine surveyor didn't say "this is a bad engine" but that a re-power wouldn't be out of the question in 3-5yrs. It does bother me that I don't know how many hours are on it. Will mull it over some more with the surveyor.

ofshore74

Member III
Did he say that the breather is OK and is not clogged? The crankcase breather should release the excess pressure.

As far as the dipstick, replace it at a Kubota dealer and save some $$ compared to a Universal Marine store. Some blow-by is to be expected in an engine this age.

With respect to the tranny oil, that is a bit of a concern. In the sea trial, put it through its paces; from a dead stop, put it in gear and give throttle quickly. Will the prop "bite" and the boat accelerate, perhaps with just a bit of squat to the rear end? If so, no slippage. New oil & OK to go.

Interestingly the surveyor suggested I check if it's clogged. Surprised he didn't for the price I paid for the survey. Also didn't do a compression test. Said something about it being a lot of work?!

I guess I could keep replacing dip-sticks and get the piston rings redone? Someone suggested that might refresh the engine. Or just drive it till I can't and get a repower at the risk of being stranded somewhere! That would not be fun. Still mulling it over.

bolbmw

Member III
Curious who the surveyor is, feel free to PM me who. If it's the same guy who I used I may have some choice suggestions on how to proceed :)

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Huh?

Interestingly the surveyor suggested I check if it's clogged. Surprised he didn't for the price I paid for the survey. Also didn't do a compression test. Said something about it being a lot of work?!

If an engine "survey" did not include a compression test, I would not include any money in my "payment" to him, since writing a check is a lot of work.
:mad:

Loren

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
I agree. The compression test is actually easy. I am far from being a mechanic and did it myself on my 5432 engine borrowing a compression test kit from a mechanic. The easiest way is by removing glow plugs, not injectors.

ofshore74

Member III
I agree. The compression test is actually easy. I am far from being a mechanic and did it myself on my 5432 engine borrowing a compression test kit from a mechanic. The easiest way is by removing glow plugs, not injectors.

So I asked "why didn't you do a compression test?" Here's the answer I got:

"As far as doing a compression test, on gas engines it is standard, but not on diesel. This is because there are no spark plugs to remove to perform the test. Doing a compression test on this Universal diesel would be possible through the glow plug hole, but would require removing the intake manifold. This procedure would likely take 2 to 3 hours and a new intake manifold gasket. In general we don’t do compression tests on diesels due to the fact that many diesels don’t have glow plugs and performing this test by removing the injector is even more involved."

Joliba

1988 E38-200 Contributing Member
Again, I am not a mechanic, but it was simple and did not require removal of the intake manifold. I did have the injector pipes off to get to the forward cylinder, but the aft 3 are very readily accessible. Even checking 3 cylinders will provide some good helpfully information. Sorry, I don't have a photo of this in my phone.
Mike Jacker

ofshore74

Member III
Again, I am not a mechanic, but it was simple and did not require removal of the intake manifold. I did have the injector pipes off to get to the forward cylinder, but the aft 3 are very readily accessible. Even checking 3 cylinders will provide some good helpfully information. Sorry, I don't have a photo of this in my phone.
Mike Jacker

Good to know Mike. Neither am I but I guess you learn how to be one when you purchase a boat with an old engine! There are a few other items that the surveyor pointed out are things that can be rectified but the compression is a big ticket item, will ask the surveyor today when we get the oil sample back if he thinks the engine will still be spewing oil, or simply die on me in the middle of the Georgia Straight or close to shore -- biggest nightmare.

ofshore74

Member III
Results are in

Oil tests came back all good! She's got another 2-4years in her maybe more (the engine surveyor said with confidence.) He also said the blow-by wasn't too bad, he's seen a lot worse. And come hell or highwater I'm prepared for a re-power in 3-5 anyway for some offshore sailing. But if I can squeak another 2years out of the engine for coastal sailing, that would be golden.

Boat survey Monday, along with the rigging inspection. Wish a man luck.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Sounds pretty good. I wouldn't worry too much about the blow-by, as the M5432 on our 38 seemed to have a lot of blow-by even when it only had 1000 hours on it.