Engine - refurbish or replace ?

Ralph Hewitt

Member III
Mine has the bronze Universal paint peeling in places, showing the original Kubota blue. Runs like a champ, no idea as to how many hours are on it. most significant service I’ve done was to replace the fresh water/coolant circulator pump. Bought a Kubota pump for half the price. This site is a wealth of knowledge and experience with these diesels.
What was Kubota part # for fresh Water pump?
5432 engine? Price?

Godzilla

Just installed a new Kubota pump on my M-25.
Part # 155534-73033 $217.89 at the Kubota Tractor dealer.
Came in a sealed plastic Kubota parts bag from Japan.

Could have a copy off e bay much cheaper or could have paid $436.00 at my local diesel repair shop for a Universal unit.

wynkoop

Member III
Wow, that’s the cost of nearly 10 drive belts! (the one maintenance item on my electric drive).
Correction three maintenance items with the electric drive.....belt, batteries, stuffing box. I elected to repower with diesel because of the space and weight of required batteries. I did not want to give up that much storage.

wynkoop

Member III
And probably also the cost of 10 sculling oars (which eliminates that one maintenance item for electric drives while also providing some range).
Where did you get sculling oars? I want one for Silver Maiden. I hate that I will be DIW if wind and engine both fail!