Engine painting advice?

JPS27

Member III
I've searched this forum and others for tips on painting an engine (and while it's in the boat). I've learned a good deal, but as usual opinions abound and there are always differing opinions. I would appreciate comments to the below summary for accuracy, order of operations, that sort of thing. Thanks, Jay

1. cover everything not to be painted. (hoses, air intake, wiring/electrical, engine/trans labels, trans vent)
  2. Vacuum
  3. Apply some sort or degreasing agent. (I was planning on using Simple Green based on what I read)
  4. Wire brush all metal (assuming that vacuuming repeatedly makes sense as debris is loosened)
  5. Sand as much metal as possible (lightly sand? For existing paint in good shape just rough it up a bit?
  6. Wipe down with acetone
  7. Apply Ospho or other agent (People seem satisfied with Ospho, would this be brushed on all metal or just rust spots? I also read on a forum that Corroseal was better than Ospho, any thoughts?)
  8. Do I need to prime?
  9. Is a specific brand of paint favored, or should be avoided?
[FONT=&quot]
Again, thanks. Jay
[/FONT]

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Jay,

1. Yeah, but I cover only a small area at a time and it is pretty loosely covered at that. I'm not too worried about a little overspray on the hoses, for example. A small piece of cardboard or two can cover a lot of the background.
2. Yep
3. I would go easy with the degreaser and pie it off as well as possible so the paint will stick well.
4. Use a brass wire brush. Any regular wire bristles that would fall out would leave a messy rush spot wherever it lands.
5. Engine surfaces are too uneven and irregular for sanding, imo. Just the brass wire brush for me.
6. Acetone or alcohol (gentler on hoses &gaskets).
7. I can't speak about those products but keep them away from gaskets & seals, etc.
8. I don't think so.
9. Any decent engine enamel should be fine. Try to match your color. I've had good success with Plastikote brand. One can has lasted many many years for just seasonal touch-up.

Spray lightly and hit it again after a while to get spots you may have missed.

Good luck

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I spray Universal bronze aerosol into a cup and apply with a brush. Works for small areas. Evaporates too fast, melts foam brushes, not much fun, but beats a lot of tedious preparation.

JPS27

Member III
Thanks...and metal prep?

Keith and Christian,
thanks. One more question I have is, is it absolutely necessary to prep spots that had rust after brushing and wiping down? Seems like some swear by products like Ospho. Or can I simply go ahead and paint so long as those spots on the metal are clean?

Jay

Emerald

Keith and Christian,
thanks. One more question I have is, is it absolutely necessary to prep spots that had rust after brushing and wiping down? Seems like some swear by products like Ospho. Or can I simply go ahead and paint so long as those spots on the metal are clean?

Jay

a friend in "the business" has always reminded me to just follow the prep instructions of the product you're using. The chemists who make the stuff know what works best for their product. They want it to work......:rolleyes:

and to throw more confusion into the mix, these folks have some very good products:

http://www.por15.com/

just use as directed :egrin: