Electrolysis E28

jbg

When we pulled our E28 at the end of the season, the prop was badly calcified, the area around the shaft and prop had calcified deposits on the hull, and the lower section of the keel was pitted. The shaft anode also showed signs of excessive pitting compared to previous seasons. Our fuel gauge was not working at the beginning of the season. About half way through the season, I replaced the fuel sender and also discovered that the ground wire to the engine was very loose and not making a connection. I believe that this wire also grounded the fuel tank. I have checked the ground connection from the prop/shaft to the positive side of the battery and it is grounded. No other boats near our slip showed this kind of problem. My question is: Was the loose ground from the tank the likely root cause of the electrolysis?

Jim
West Coast of Michigan

EGregerson

Member III
Electrolosis

Hi; do you run AC accessories on the boat like air conditioning? Does the marina have a sound well grounded electrical system? (I've heard of marinas with poor systems that you can stick a multimeter probe in the water and actually measure voltage; however I've never actually tried it; it sounds bizarre.) Are the nearby boats, power boats? with ss props? Your bronze prop will be less noble and take the punishment compared to them. I've read where many install galvanic isolators to prevent this; they separate the electrical systems on your boat. Check all your connections; make sure the grounds are clean and there are no shorts to ground. Happy hunting.