electrical

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Does anyone know if you can damage a radio/CD player by using it while the power supply is connected to a battery charger?

Thanks, Mark

Last edited:

admirals barge

Member III
battery charger

the battery charger is the same as a 12v power supply. i've used a battery charger as a power supply to test a lot of electronic equipment. it would be better to connect the radio to the battery bank and then the charger to the battery bank. but if its not possible and you are using the charger as a power supply for the radio it will work. it would be better to turn the charger on first and then the radio. if you do it the other wayits possible that you might get a spike and blow the fuse.

happy sailing
greg

u079721

Contributing Partner
Not if equilization is running

My take on this is that it ought to be safe UNLESS your battery charger equilization cycle is running. During equilization the voltage can exceed 16 volts (at least for awhile) which can fry some electronics (and light bulbs too for that matter). But the normal float voltage of most chargers would not be a problem.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I agree with the above. Does the specifications page in the manual give a range for operating voltage?
Under normal charging conditions (i.e. not equalising, which is very rare), a smart charger would put out in a range from 13.6V to 14.4V, a stupid charger generally not above 14V. Most electronics have no problem with that.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Thanks for the replies. Turns out I had a leak (rain) above the radio/cd player and things got wet. I pulled the unit out, took it apart and discovered the water and corroded parts, bummer. I recently installed an electric motor (MotorGuide 36 volt) on my E23 and have the shorepower plugged in anytime I’m on the boat at the slip to keep the batteries topped off. I was on the boat for a few hours doing some paperwork for work with the radio on when it started acting up. I quickly shifted into boat tinkering mode (more fun than paperwork) and found one speaker was hot and getting WAY more voltage (or amperage). I know the charger will charge up to 14 + volts at times and I thought that might be the cause. In speaking with a Jensen tech I was informed the radio should handle anything the charger would throw at it.

By the way, the motor is working pretty well, starts with the flick of a switch, pushes the 23 up to 4 knots, is quiet and fume/smoke free. Took it out a week or so ago with ten foot swells braking across half of the harbor entrance (Santa Cruz) and had enough power to plow through.

Thanks again for the replies, Mark