electric pod for E35-2 ?

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
Not the same brand but, we put the ePropulsion version of this on our Beneteau 235. It was the 3.0Kw model, but same type installation.
We did use a backing plate of epoxied and glassed 1/2" plywood, with thickened epoxy between it and the hull to fill any gaps. The ePropulsion version came with a sacrificial external plate that you cut to match the curve of the hull, so the pod is level with the waterline. Install was pretty straightforward. Measure carefully, double check everything, then cut holes in your hull. Sealant of your choice, tighten it all down, plug it in. Came with motor controller and we bought their battery pack, so it was pretty much plug and play. Only problem was tracking down the one loose wire that kept the readout from coming on. Once that was tightened everything worked like it was supposed to.

The result... we absolutely loved it. Quiet and plenty powerful to move the boat. Power comes instantly with throttle movement. Range will be dependent on how big a battery bank you install and how fast you insist on going.
We're considering putting the 6 kW pod on Kotona. Maybe next year.

Last edited:

steven

Sustaining Member
David, this is great feedback ! I will look at the ePropulsion alternative. I'd probably go with the 6kW.

Did you do the hole cutting yourself or did you engage a yard ? I'm kind of nervous about making holes in the hull.

Love the E31. Hope you are enjoying it.

David Vaughn

Member II
Blogs Author
We did all of the install ourselves. It helped that the boat was on its own trailer.
It was the largest project we'd done at the time, but there wasn't anything really difficult about it. We did spend weeks measuring and planning for the install of components and cable runs, but the installation itself only took a few days.

The yards in our area are few and far between. Their experience is powerboats, mostly pontoon and bass boats. And at the time, the Pod Evo was a new item and we were one of the first in the US to receive one. So no one around here would have had any experience installing it anyway.
I decided I'd rather know everything about how it was installed so I'd know where to start looking if something went wrong later.
It was a bit scary, and we took that old adage of 'measure twice, cut once' to a new level, but I'm glad we did it ourselves.

On the ePropulsion website there is a section for performance bulletins; one of which is a custom 33 footer of similar displacement as the E31 and the 35-2. It is using ePropulsion's 6kW outboard but that shares the same motor as the Pod. The owner reports some very interesting speed / range numbers at different power levels.

We love our E31. It's a great size for the two of us, she's easy to sail, and while beauty is in the eye, and all that, she is gorgeous and we get compliments all the time. The Admiral is not a fan of the diesel however. She puts up with it, but she loved the Pod on the Beneteau and is all for putting one on Kotona.