Electric fuel pump

jav317

Member III
Can someone tell me how the Facet electric fuel pump works. I changed out my Racor water/fuel filter and I couldn't get new fuel into the racor filter and it didn't sound like the Facet fuel pump would turn on. I tried starting the engine, I look for a switch for the Facet pump, nothing. I would appriciate any help. This is a 1990 M25 XP
Thanks

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The electric fuel pump draws fuel from the Racor. You likely have an air leak in the Racor, perhaps result of the filter change. Check gasket for seal and Racor casting for near-invisible cracks.

Wait--fuel won't go into the Racor? If it's a 200 series there's probably a hand pump to fill it, although I always filled the new cartridge with diesel before screwing it on.

Relying on the fuel pump to fill it can take a long time, if it works at all.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I suggest first putting your volt meter across the connections at the Facet pump, when the key switch is 'on'.
Back before I replaced all of our wiring harness on our M25XP ( with a new Betamarine engine and panel...) I previously had to by pass the positive wire to the old lift pump when it stopped working regularly and I found that less than 10 volts was reaching due to corrosion in those old 'trailer connectors' in the Universal OEM Universal harness. And as Christian points out, using that little hand pump on the old Racor filter housing takes a long time.

Several threads here discuss lift pumps, filter woes, and etc. Here is just one: https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads/racor-r24p.19590/#post-153163

Last edited:

Kenneth K

1985 32-3, Puget Sound
Blogs Author
.... it didn't sound like the Facet fuel pump would turn on. I tried starting the engine, I look for a switch for the Facet pump, nothing.
The factory setup has the Facet fuel pump powered directly from the engine panel. If the panel is on, you should hear the pump clicking away (there is no separate switch or fuse).

If not, follow the two electric leads that come from the pump (one grounds the case, one is + DC from the engine panel). Often times there is a spade plug on the + wire that allows the pump to be disconnected from the DC source. Maybe this connector came loose.

peaman

Sustaining Member
I tried starting the engine, I look for a switch for the Facet pump, nothing. I would appriciate any help. This is a 1990 M25 XP
My M25 XP may be a newer generation than yours, but on mine, I can turn on the key switch, and then press the preheat button, and that will cause the engine-mounted electric pump to run. No need to start the engine. After replacing my fuel filters, I did this and I could hear the change in sound from when the pump was moving air to when it started moving fuel. I was able to easily start the engine after I did that.

Pete the Cat

Sustaining Member
One thing to remember when you change your Racor is to shut off the line to the tank prior to changing the element. Sometimes the valve is right next to the Racor and sometimes in is on the tank in some models. This holds the fuel in the line so the pump does not have to try to lift the column to the filter from the tank--which can take a long time with the power of most electric fuel pumps. Just a suggestion to speed things up.

paul culver

Member III
I don't know about the situation for diesels but for my Atomic 4 gas engine the electric pump is regulated by an oil pressure safety sensor installed in the block. For trouble shooting you can bypass it if malfunction is suspected. Also check to see if your pump is equipped with a fuse.

windblown

Member III
Our M25 has a fuse between the engine panel and fuel pump. In the process of changing our Racor fuel/water separator filter and bleeding the air out of the fuel lines recently, we somehow blew this fuse.

jav317

Member III
Thanks to the response I was able to correct the problem. The fuel pump wasn't receiving power from the engine panel. I by passed the panel and place a inline switch which I can now use in the engine area. Simple and very convenent, switch on, bleed fluid and off we go.

paul culver

Member III
Not sure I understand. It sounds like you would have to switch the pump on/off from the engine area instead of having it come on when you turn the key. Is that correct?

jav317

Member III
You are correct, I need to still have the wire connected to the ignition switch. Although I can't find where it is connacted, I will run some tests and besure it is energized with the ignition on. Thank you, good catch!