electric fuel pump conversion

butchndesharp

Hi Folks

I thought it would be a good idea toconvert to an electric fuel pump on my E29. I used a Racor electric fuel pumpand an adpter plate from Moyer Marine. The plat has an indentation, Iassume, to allow for the push rod that operates the mechanical pump.The engine started right up but there was a terrible racket comingfrom the starboard side of the engine and the new fuel pump was beingshaken really bad. One of my dock mates said it was definitely thepush hitting the new fuel pump bracket and I could pull the pushrodout with no trouble. Seemed right to me, so I pulled the fuel andsure enough there was a half moon mark where the pushrod had beenhammering the bracket. I pulled on the pushrod with my fingers. Itdidn't budge. Is the pushrod held in with some sort of stopper or isit supposed to come out. I don't want to try to force it. It seems tome that it should stay in and the shallow hole in the bracket isthere to allow for it. Any suggestions?

Butch

butchndesharp

Wow, what a mess

I typed the first post on open office and dragged it over to the forum. I,m afraid it lost some spaces along the way. My problem is that the pushrod for the mechanical fuel pump hits the
cover plate \ electric fuel pump bracket. I would like to know if the push rod can be removed. It doesn't seem to come out.

Butch

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Hope I'm wrong

:0 I believe that the push rod should have been removed befor you installed the plate. The rod should pull right out. I hope you haven't mushroomed the end that rides on the shaft. If you have:confused:.

Al Frakes
E-27 Shadow
E-28+ Summer Winds II

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Another thought

Butch, crank the engine and the cam should push the rod out. Mine popped right out when I did my conversion.

Al Frakes

butchndesharp

Thank you Al.
I was also afraid that it might be mushroomed but whout knowing what is behind it I was afraid to put much force on it. I wouldn' have thought about cranking the engine. I'l try it tomorrow. There is a Moyer service manual on the way. A little late. You have been a great help thanks

Butch

butchndesharp

The solution

I put a 1/2" spacer between the block and the cover plate/electric fuel pum bracket. It had the same shape as the cover plate and three holes to match the bolt holes and 7/8" relief hole for the push rod. Now the push rod has plenty of room to lay in the bearing without touching anything.