Eeek! We got our new PHRF rating

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Doesn't look like a pole is being used at all in the above photo but maybe I am missing something? I need to get a pole for my 38 and am trying to decide how large to go. Not certain also what my max would be for PHRF on the Chesapeake either... Maybe when I finally get some newer sails Chris and I can do some comparisons on the deep keel vs wing? He's only a days run down the bay from me...BTW I hope to get down there for some racing with Stitch and Glue before the summer is over, hopefully we can hook up. Waiting for kid #2 to arrive any day right now...

Ted Reshetiloff
89' E 38-200
Still struggling with a name...

Roger Ware

Member III
Ted's eyes are sharper than Seth's

Ted, you are right, there is no pole (I know the photo looks like there might be, but there ain't) - I dont even possess a spinnaker pole. Seth, hope that doesnt change any of your great advice, except of course, as the apparent wind angle gets broader, I cant pull the sail around. One thing - I have seen the suggestion that at deeper angles you should let the tack fly rather than fastening it to the forestay, to give it a chance to come to windward - do you agree, Seth?

Cheers, Roger.

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Gonna smoke us with new sails!

Hey Ted,
Don't buy new sails on our account! Original main and a 1998 Genny with lots of use. Getting some runs with the two boats would be cool to compare. Also, would make a great screen saver picture!
PHRF rules state the pole shall not be longer than J length (otherwise you incur a rating penalty). We've been discussing getting a carbon pole this winter. We should see if we could get a little discount for ordering two identical poles.

Seth,
In some of your free time :p (we really appreciate all the time you put in on this board!), would you mind putting up a post about the rigging of a pole (we currently have an adjustable aluminum whisker pole, but we're considering getting a regular pole) and running it as the asym tack point? I'd like to do it without lashing stuff to the boat (jeez that makes me nervous). I've heard of these type set-ups as called "Down-F***Kers". Thought this might help with some of the rigging issues as our tack line rubs on the bow pulpit and effects shape. Thoughts?
Chris

Seth

Sustaining Partner
So busted

WOW- :oops: :oops:

I was seeing something right under the foot and assumed it was a pole...Would you believe your trimming was so perfect I could not tell it didn't have a pole? No? Worth a shot anyway......

OK. let's backtrack a bit (You guys are GOOD!)

1). Roger (he said sheepishly), for YOUR type of use for now (no pole), YES, as you sail deeper, you will ease the sheet AND the tackline-definitely do away with the Tacker, or whatever you are using. This will allow the sail to "rotate" to windward as you sail deeper with the sheet eased. Rotating to windward will allow the sail to fly away from the main and work at much deeper angles than if you keep it attached to the forestay. In fact, I'm not much of a believer in those tacker thingies anyway-I don't really see any advantage at all in keeping it closer to the forestay-even when close reaching, but this may depend on design. I can tell you that the Doyle and Q A-sail and cruising kites (almost the same thing) do just fine without them. All I do is adjust the tackline for the conditions.

2). Ted, as Chris said, the limit on pole length without penalty is the J dimension, which is 16.25 feet. ALL race boats use this dimension, because you want the longest possible pole to get as much projection as you can (except those which carry penalty poles, which are even longer than J).

3). Chris-Sorry I don't remember if we specifically have discussed your layout before, but to fully rig for a pole you will need: a). Mast track with fitting to accept pole end (jaws or male-female type). If you do a lot of racing, this should be adjustable with block and tackle, if rarely, then a pin-stop car on the track will do-but for good trim, the pole height must be adjustable at the mast. Note: Harken has an excellent section on mast tracks and fittings in their catalog b). Pole Topping Lift-usually exits between upper and lower spreaders (looks like a halyard). The mast is set up for it, but if not rigged, and you have an extra unused halyard, it is OK to use a extra halyard for this. Depending on the pole set up, it attaches either to a bridle on the pole or to the outboard end of the Pole. Schaeffer and Harken both have nice drawings of this in their catalogs-I think. c). Pole Foreguy-Traditionally from the fwd end of the pole (if dip pole type with male-female inboard end) or to the bottom bridle (double jaw type). This leads from a block on the track just fwd. of the fwd hatch (as has been recently diiscussed re: 30+). If no track is fitted, then place a padeye 1/3 of J back from the stem. The foreguy goes from the pole to a block on the track or padeye, then usually aft along the cabin sides (often double ended for more purchase and to adjust from either side). What I have described is the typical set up for conventional spinnakers. You can fly the A-sail using this, with the addition of the "downf.....er", which is essentially a combination forguy/tackline adjuster.

Now that I read your post again, I see that your idea was simply to use a pole as the attach point (hence the lashig reference)-DO NOT bother-unless you plan to actually use the pole normally (squaring back when deep, easing fwd. for closer reaching). To do what I think you are saying buys you nothing more than not using a pole at all. If you use a pole at all, take advantage of what it can do!

What else? Extendable whisker poles are not strong enough to use as a spin pole-don't try. By all means go Carbon-it is SO WORTH it!

As far as the tack line rubbing on the pulpit, the solution is to run the tackline through a block either on the genoa tack fitting or shackled onto the anchor roller-either way, you want the tackline to exit though and out in front of the pulpit. The sail will keep it away from rubbing (which won't really affect trim, just cause chafe and stress on the metal), and you can adjust from close to well eased.

One other item: The 38 is best suited for Dip Pole Gybing, rather than end-for end gybing. This is a function of rig size-just too big to muscle around. That means male-female fitting on one end of the pole and jaws on the outboard end...

There is so much more that can be said. If you need more scoop on your deck layout, feel free to contact me directly with specifics and we can work through them.
Cheers!
Humbly yours,
S

Last edited:

escapade

Inactive Member
wing keel woes

I too have a wing keel on my 1988 E34. Am racing in MI (Saginaw Bay area) w/126 rating (129 M&J). Boat is competive (hopefully more so w/addition of new main) at this rate much to my dismay! I would love to be able to race a fin keel E34 heads up to see the actual difference, but we seem to be able to point with the other boats. If anything, the off wind performance is where we seem to lose some ground. OTOH our main is junk and am real interested is seeing how the new one performs. Am hoping for delivery by Wed. for this weeks race!
Bud E34 "Escapade"

CaptnNero

Accelerant
Wing Keel angle of attack, Pitch, and Drag

I have an E34 wing keel. I don't race but have wondered about what effect fore-aft trim has on performance because of the wing keel. The wing has negative lift built into the profile, versus its fin which has a neutral shape. If the bow is up versus down the angle of attack will vary, thereby changing the wing turbulence and drag coefficient. My boat was a little bow heavy (two inches) before I supersized my batteries by adding some in the lazerette. That was killing two birds with one stone. I know I just increased the moment but it won't matter for my local usage.

Anyway, 2 inches over 17 feet to COM works out to about 0.5 degrees if you do the math. Then it's a matter of whether 0.5 degrees is a relevant change in angle of attack for the wing.

So my question is, do you wing racers consider pitch and the wing angle of attack on various points of sail ? Is it all covered anyway by the normal dynamic weight management onboard when racing ?

-- neal

escapade said:
I too have a wing keel on my 1988 E34. Am racing in MI (Saginaw Bay area) w/126 rating (129 M&J). Boat is competive (hopefully more so w/addition of new main) at this rate much to my dismay! I would love to be able to race a fin keel E34 heads up to see the actual difference, but we seem to be able to point with the other boats. If anything, the off wind performance is where we seem to lose some ground. OTOH our main is junk and am real interested is seeing how the new one performs. Am hoping for delivery by Wed. for this weeks race!
Bud E34 "Escapade"

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Chris did you ever get any love on your rating? How long it take PHRF to get yours to you? I have not applied yet but think I will soon even though I dont have the sails I want to race with. My genny is not so hot and my cruising kite is too flat and small to carry very deep. What if any races are planning on doing with your boat this summer?

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Lots of love...

After a great deal of complaining, I got a letter in the mail with our adjusted rating. We're now a 126. Nice, right? Nope. In the new bay formulas, that now makes us a PHRF A boat. But at least I feel like we could sail to it if we really tried.
PHRF only took a week or so to turn it around.
Sequoia's racing season starts next Sat. with the SMSA double handed race. We're also doing Gov Cup this year, probably the fall Annapolis to Oxford, and the SMSA Vice Commodor's Cup (if I can find a driver, wife is doing it on another boat and I don't belong in front of the shrouds or behind the wheel!).
That should do it. Our chute is too small to bouy race and our sails are cruisers, but we're going to have a great time!
Chris

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
In filling out the form they ask for Spinnaker hoist height and mid girth on your assm. How did you measure these? Did you indicate anywhere that you would not be using a pole? I dont have a 150% I have a 145% and listed it, I am guessing they dont care unless it was over 155%? Did they give you a listing of credits? I'm guessing they gave you 6 seconds for the furler and made your base 120?

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Dimensions

If your sail is not full sized, then your sailmaker will have the design card with the info. On both the POHRF application and most sailmakers' cut sheets, Spinnaker hoist(luff length) is called "SL" and mid girth is called "SMG", or "SMW", and sometimes "AMG"-but they all indicate the girth of the sail.

The limit for a full sized sail is 1.8 x J (180%). The mid-girth is comparable to the LP on a headsail-also a function of the J length. I did list the max dimensions for a racing A-sail here on this thread on 7/29/05. These are the max dimensions for PHRF without penalty. Exceed these and you will be hit with one. As has been said here several times by several members, you won't likely get any credit for an undersized spinnaker...

To be precise, ask your sailmaker for dimensions that particluar sail was built to. If you want to measure it yourself, you can tape a tape measure, and pull the luff tight and measure it your self. If it is a sym kite, just measure one luff. If an A-sail, you will need both luff and leech (as indicated on your application, and the luff must be at least 5% longer than the leech). I will repost the limits here in a few minutes..

To measure the mid girth, find the midpoint of the luff, and measure straight accross the sail-the girth it is the width of the sail at the mid luff point.

Good luck!

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Some numbers

From old posts, the first paragraph are the formulae for SoCal PHRF (Chesapeake may be SLIGHTLy different, but not much). The second paragraph-specifically for A-sails on the 38, show the maximum sizes/limits. SL on the A-sail is the luff and SLE is the leech.

For example, SOCAL's rule says: For boats designed to use conventional spinnakers with a standard pole, the A-sail's " SL(U) shall not exceed 1.03 times the square root of (Ic squared + Jc squared), BUT the luff MUST be at least 5% longer than the leech (and this varies from region to region a bit), whereas for conventional kites it is simply anywhere from (.95 x I) to (1 X I).

As for A-sails sizes-I built Roger's A-sail-wasn't that a "racing A-sail"? The max size for PHRF without penalty would be a girth and foot not to exceed 1.8 X J (although they are often slightly under for optimal shape), and
here are the MAX sizes for the 38 std. rig (50 X 16.25): SL: 52.59; SLE: 46.8;
SMG: 29.25;SF (AKA SFA):29.25. In reality, the SMG on an A-sail will be a bit smaller, but these are the defined limits.

Cheers!

S

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Since i am not going to get any credit for undersized sails I am guessing then I should just use these max numbers on my certificate form? So when asked to provide SH spinnaker hoist I should use my I of 50?

On the assym measurments I am asked for and was going to provide:

Luff: 52.59
Foot:29.25
Mid-Girth: 29.25
Leech: 46.8

I want to send the form in today and have not measured my kite but I know without a doubt it is undersized. I have not measured the height of the spin hoist either.

Roger Ware

Member III
Roger's A-sail

Ted, I don't think I really have a racing A-sail, but it might be slightly bigger than a normal cruising sail. But my luff is 49' I am pretty sure. The other dimensions I have not measured. A 52.5' luff would fill up that triangle pretty well, although some people might want to see under it.

Cheers, Roger

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Phrf

The only way to get a credit for smaller sails normally is to use smaller I,J,P,E numbers. You will the be rated for maximum sized sails based on thise numbers.

If you are going to supply the standard 38 dimensions (as you should), then as long as the sizes for the sails do not exceed the limits (limits before penalty) it does not matter very much what sail sizes you enter. Earlier (on 4/29 in this thread) I have given the formula for leech and luff of A-sails (or your sail dude has this for you)-this calls out max luff, and the min difference between luff and leech. And, as long as the foot and/or girths do not exceed 1.8 X J (29.25) you will not have any penalties for girth or foot dimensions.

So, yes Ted, those numbers should be fine-but I would make sure that Chesapeake has the same formula as Socal PHRF for A-sails just to be sure. Look at the formula in my post of 4-29, and make sure it is the same for Chesapeake.

Good luck!

S

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Looks like I should be fine with these Seth as PHRF Chesapeake allows you to go to 110% of the square root of (I squared+ J squared) on the Assym luff. My math shows 100% would be 52.57. If I=50 and J=16.25. So 110% would be 57.83. That seems huge though. Am I mising something? Still looks like foot and midgirth numbers max at 180% of J.This links goes to the PHRF form. if you look at page 3 it gives the limits.

http://www.phrfchesbay.com/applform.pdf

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Right, sort of

Strange, did not see any real limits for the combined leech and luff-the reason the luff can be so long (but not in practice) is that in addition to the ALU limitation, most PHRF regs allow for a TOTAL of luff and leech length, and contain this after the ALU limit: "BUT the luff MUST be at least 5% longer than the leech (and this varies from region to region a bit), whereas for conventional kites it is simply anywhere from (.95 x I) to (1 X I)." Looks like there may be something missing on this form, but it is not really important.

This keeps the luff from being ridiculous.

But, if this is all Chesapeake PHRF says on the matter, you are fine. They also note (correctly) that for A-sails the AMG cannot exceed 80% of AF. Your dimensions are good, and in actual practice are at or extremely close to the max alowable area-so all is good in the world for you!!

Cheers again!

S

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Seth. I only wish those A sail dimensions were actually taken from my sail. The one I have is significantly smaller and flatter but hopefully this summer we will pick up one that hits these figures. I'll mail the application today and keep you all posted on what they send me back as a rating...

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Ok I got my PHRF cert and I guess it came out where expected. 120. The base rating they said was 114 and they gave me 6 seconds for RF. The certificate is interesting in that it lists the max limits for a number of paramters. Max number of battens for the main is 7, I wonder why you would want more? Max luff on the assym is 57.83 which I thought a bit large but what the hell. Max foot 29.25. I need to get a copy of the Green Book for this year and figure out what races we will try and do. After racing my Jet 14 on Saturday in annapolis in 24kts w/gusts to 27 I am looking fwd to not having to hike as hard... Yesterday went a lot better with 8-12kts. Got 3 2nds but with my poor finishes on saturday I ended up 3rd overall...

Chris Miller

Sustaining Member
Seems fair

Hey Ted, that seems fair given our wing keel base rating is 120 and we get 6 seconds for the RF. Let me know if you need crew for any of those races and I'll check my schedule!
Chris

Congrats on the small boat stuff!

wurzner

Member III
My new rating in PHRF-NW is 140. Most of my sails are code 4 or 5, and I get an adjustment for the fixed prop. That is using PHRF's new measurement process.

shaun
E38-200 #207
S/V Sorcerer
Everett, WA