Edson Radial Drive E34

cawinter

Member III
Carnage in Atlantic Highlands/NJ Harbor last weekend. Somewhere betwee 15-20 boats tore off their moorings, some sank...quite impressive what the 'left-overs' of Ernesto coupled with the High over Canada were able to whip up.

The rudder (despite brand new tight brake!) must have hit the stop so hard or there was so much force on the rudder that the radial drive sheared apart (Edson 800-8). After consultation with Edson, I believe that I might be able to just pull the two halves apart after loosening the hex bolts and the center bolt, which goes through the rudder post. They wanted to know the bore, which per their spec sheets is 3.484". Edson was not sure whether I have to drop the rudder or not. Since my dingy also 'died' I am waiting for my haul-out today to get a better look.

Any comments? Regardless, I put a writeup together.

The Hunter 450 that hit me also tore up misc. other gear (rubrail, two stays, pulpit). They ultimately were totalled with decks torn open. We stayed on the mooring and are otherwise intact. Not a great weekend.:boohoo:

Chris
E34 Dangriga

CaptnNero

Accelerant
securing the rudder for a storm ?

Hi Chris,

I'm sorry to hear of your mishap with Dangriga on the mooring. If you don't have the original manuals I'll be glad to take a look at mine to see if I can give you any details.

Though Dangriga is far from unscathed, at least she did fairly well, considering the whole risk profile that day.

Things were ok in our marina this time, but for Isabel the first three piers were mostly lost, with some nasty damage scattered among the rest of the piers.

Your steering failure suggests to me that it would be nice to come up with a way of securing the rudder without using the steering mechanism itself. As I know that is a very tight space already I suppose that may not be possible. There is a possibility of using the emergency tiller access at the top of the shaft in some way to secure it.

Last edited: