Edson Pedestal Steering

ccorcoran

Member II
In a reply to the autopilot string, I mentioned that we heard a rather disconcerting "whining" from the helm on a port tack under moderate conditions. After removing the cover underneath the pedestal in the aft cabin and having the wheel moved lock to lock, we discovered that the ss lines are frayed where they pass through the sheeves. A review of the E34 manual and the Edson sheets in the manual reveals that the ss wire and chain should be replaced every five years or so. How many MkIII (32, 34, 35, 38s) have replaced these pieces? I thought I was doing a good job by periodically checking the play in the wheel, lubicating the sheeves (every few years) and making sure the quadrant is still visible and connected through the aft lazarette/compartment. The complete chain/wire set-up is about $200 from Edson and can be installed from the top of the pedestal after removing the compass (BTW, the later manuals actually contain a part number for the specific Ericson model that tells Edson the length of chain and wire - in our case that # is 775-2S15B9). I thought I'd mention this to all other later model owners to remind us that the steering system does need attention (hey, they're are even grease fittings on the rudder shaft/bushing to keep things running smoothly). In fact, Edson recommends monthly lubrication of the sheeves and annual lubrication of the needle bearings above. Oh well, I guess it isn't a total wash, while crawling around behind the propane locker, I did discover where I'm taking on water...the through-hull for the port cokpit drain appears to be leaking and since that's quickly underwater when there's any heal, it time to rebed.

escapade

Inactive Member
steering cable failure

Chris;
Yours isn't the only one! Right after we had purchased Escapade I was checking things in the aft lazerate and noticed some fraying of the steering cables. Upon closer inspection discovered that they were almost completely parted! Made up replacements out of 7/32 7X19 stainless rigging wire. This is the same stuff Edson uses. Because I was making custom length's & have my own swagging tool (doesn't everyone?) I was able to eliminate the cable clamps Edson uses. Makes a neater installation and is a stronger eye than the clamps. Anyone with an older (pre 1995) boat of any make would do well to take a VERY close look at the steering as well as standing rigging & life lines. We had an upper life line nearly fail just before vacation. No one fell against it or snagged on a dock. It just parted @ the swag fitting! Only 6 of the wire strands in a bundle of 3/16 7X19 wire were left holding. Needless to say we replaced those life lines imediately & the remainder are schudeled for this winter! Makes me real glad I replaced all the standing rigging last year. To sum it up, even stainless has a life span which is much shorter in salt water than fresh water. Escapade is a 1988 boat, first 7 years in salt (Florida), next 7 in warm fresh (Georgia), and the last 3 in COLD fresh (Michigan). Still fixing the effects of salt after 10 years in fresh.
BTW, the hydraulic backstay works great. Last 4 races were in 18-24 kn. of wind (which is a lot for Mi in August). Am able to reduce headstay sag and twist off top of main & headsail to depower going to weather, then ease it off for more power going off the wind. A very worthwhile investment. Easy to use, convenient, and it works!
Have fun & sail fast.
Bud E34 "Escapade"