Easy Lock Clutch Replacement

Peter K

Member II
I have 3 original easy lock double line clutches. All 3 are in need of attention and one is broken. So, I am planning to replace at least 1 if not all. I removed the STB clutch, which is broken (2 are on port side and 1 on STB).

My boat is a 1988 32-200. Any recommendations on best brand and model to buy to replace the easy lock? I see at least 1 thread that recommends Lemar.

Pete

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
My replacements have been Lewmars and I am very happy with them. They can be opened under load without breaking the handle. I bought them a long time ago and have no idea if other companies have the same capability now.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I replaced (and added) all Spinlock XAS clutches on our 32-200. Same footprint as the original.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 124

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
I think the screw holes even lined up.

Wow! I've hit 1000 posts! :0

The Lewmar mounting holes do NOT line up. Come to think of it, I was able to get one screw in. :rolleyes:

Rick - I was more impressed with the six pack. That's under the heading of quality over quantity.

Shelman

Member III
Blogs Author
Those spinlock xas look nice!
I replaced the handles on my original clutches a few years back with some available at rig-rite but they will never be like a new modern clutch.
I had just finished repressing the thought of slick shiny new clutches too! Don't tell my wife I added them to my wish list at Defender.com ok.
Ooh to have clutches that will release under tension, it would be like a dream...