Early 70's E-29

chris123

Greets:

Tomorrow I'm going to look at an interesting local E-29 circa 1972. Aside from the usual things to survey was wondering if there is anything specific that I should be looking at for the 29's from 70-74. The engine has been replaced with a yanmar diesel. My main concern is to locate a solid boat that I can build up for my intend usage (longer periods of coastal cruising and then some offshore work) and keep within my budgets..:)

This is the model that has the storage locker in along the centerline of the vessel. Second question if I may. Since I'm not crazy about the locker in that location, was wondering how much of it can be removed or relocated without affecting the supporting deck structure. Later models of the E-29 have this locker on the port side.

Thanks in advance for any info you may wish to share.

HGSail

Member III
Hello Cris123

Mine is a '73 and I have the Lazzerette on the port side. Is yours a stick or a wheel? As for any areas in paticular that may be of concern, I have'nt found any on my boat that have been a problem.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
My E 29 is a 1978 and has the hanging locker on the port side across from the head. The boat is solid and I have similar plans for my boat. Coastal and possibly a little island hopping in the southern part of the Caribbean. There is a 29 that made it quite a long haul. See http://www.trafficated.com/ for the story. The 29 is not a blue water boat but is tough enough for the things we have in mind.

Realize that most of us dream and few venture to take the risk of grabbing our dreams. I have had things in my life in the past few weeks that let me know if you want it and don’t go for it you will loose your dreams and never know the satisfaction of facing life’s treasures.

I will never let the fear of what-if stop me and I will never run blinded by the thought of shortsightedness.

Damn how did I get to all that from what to look for in a boat?

chris123

Will respond to both posts at one time to save space. Wrt the E-29 looked at it today and disappointed for the following reasons. This model is an early 70's with the locker along the centerline next to the compression post on the port side.

Issues with the boat:
  • starboard toe rail under the jib sheet track is stress cracked in two places
  • mast has a rake to it except its to port about 4-5 degrees, this could be resultant from various factors but it bothered me to see it as its rather obvious
  • PO put at least six 1" or greater openings in the lazarettes for misc junk
  • bunks in the forepeak are approx 5 feet long which relegates the bow to storage
  • there is a strange semi unglassed area (look like one layer of glass has been peeled off in the forward bilge and that has a hole drilled into it approx 1" dia and 1/2" deep, at the center of which is a 1/4" hole that protrodes into the keel area about 3 inches till you hit metal
  • thought this may be a drain vent hole for the keel but checked the keel thoroughly and there is no widdle drain hole that has been patched...very strange
  • PO placed the wheel far too far forward in order to leave room for the emergency rudder (which he could have cut shorter) thereby really cramping the area in front of the gangway. There is approx 2 feet clearance there which makes it really difficult to get in or out in a hurry...this is not a T cockpit rather the standard long one.
  • I found it strange that the fuel tank had been relocated to the cockpit area on the starboard side with the fill pipe opening being in the cockpit. Not good.

The rest, engine, rigging, electrical, plumbing, topsides, hull, bottom and keel are all acceptable.

Wrt to getting going and doing what you really want, I'm totally on board. My issue right now is that I need to sort out some personal issues first. However I use the weekends and the net to look and preview boats that interest me. Drove almost 300 miles today to look at it...:)

The E-29 is definitely on the list however it will have to be a post 73 T cockpit model as there is greater interior volume. I've been following the viking's site (trafficated/spectral) for a long time so I'm familiar with what the E-29 can do under the right conditions. Excellent site btw, sorry to read his last post where he stated that he went back home to work in "the factory" Man that is some kind of life change but to each his own. Looking at vessels that intererst me the base criteria are less then 35 ft, with a capsize ratio of 1.77 or less and around the 10K mark (ya I know...but its a starting point) with the remainder going towards outfitting the vessel.

Thanks so much for responding. Input and communicating with others is so helpfull.

Best regards and thanks again.

/ch