E39 vs E37

jim239

Member I
Hello everyone it seems I am actually thinking of buying another sailboat. What better pastime than looking at great sailboats right!
There are one of each of these boats for sale in the Pacific Northwest. I have heard great things about the E 39 for long range cruising.
My question is would the 37 be as capable as the 39 ? What are the design differences if any ? I would like to set it up for single handing as much as possible
knowing I will probably end up doing that often. I like the helm forward on the 39 for the NW weather. Those sails look huge, is it crazy ?
Thanks for any pickins, Jim

Guy Stevens

39 is a great boat!

The E-39 is a great boat, I would heartily recommend one. The 37 is not a bad boat either, harder to find as there were less of them made. I have sailed both, and would personally prefer the 39 over the 37.

A little dated now, but here is some info on our trip in ours:
www.svpneuma.com

Guy
:)

jim239

Member I
Thanks Guy, I have been digging into your posts a bit. Do you still like the flush deck design for offshore work or would you like a traditional cabin top? You don't miss the cabin top to hold on to?
Jim

Guy Stevens

I have a 46 now

I don't care for cabin tops after having been a flush deck owner for years and years.

Safety wise flush decks are more safe in breaking waves that cabin tops.

Moving about on deck way easier on a flush deck than on a "cabin topped" boat.

Wouldn't change it for the world.

Guy

jim239

Member I
I don't care for cabin tops after having been a flush deck owner for years and years.

Safety wise flush decks are more safe in breaking waves that cabin tops.

Moving about on deck way easier on a flush deck than on a "cabin topped" boat.

Wouldn't change it for the world.

Guy

Thanks Guy, I am a few steps closer to buying the 39. I took a look at the 46 and was surprised to see it looks identical to the 39. They even put the wheel in the same place!
Do you have any nice photos of the 39 in action?
Also did you ever add a staysail to beat upwind in a blow?
Jim

Guy Stevens

More answers

Had a staysail on Pneuma, have one on Aiki. Both were classic middle of the foredeck removable stays. If I were doing the rig for a 39 these number of years later, I would add a solent stay instead, and skip the need for running backs. Make it out of Colligo dynex dux, and colligo fittings, and it would be the best possible solution.

The 46 is huge, I love it, but wouldn't probably recommend anything over about 40 feet to any of my clients if there are only two of them. M and I can handle Aiki fine, and she is set up for single handing, but most people would not be able to accomplish that well.

Trying to find a better all around cruising boat than an Ericson 39 would be a hard to do in my opinion.

Have fun in the search.

Guy

Attachments

• 00010_n_12agy3ng7e0010.jpg
    00010_n_12agy3ng7e0010.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 69
  • 00099_n_12agy3ng7e0099.jpg
    00099_n_12agy3ng7e0099.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 00101_n_12agy3ng7e0101.jpg
    00101_n_12agy3ng7e0101.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 77
  • 00108_n_12agy3ng7e0108.jpg
    00108_n_12agy3ng7e0108.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 74
  • 00112_n_12agy3ng7e0112.jpg
    00112_n_12agy3ng7e0112.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 66

jim239

Member I
The 46 does look huge. I would like to see it rigged as a gaff schooner. What do you think of the Freedom 40? I always liked the look of that boat.
Too bad Ericson didn't build them. I think I would go with a stayed rig though. I like the sails James Wharram puts on his catamarans.
Jim

underway

If the 37' you are looking at is the one in Portland (I believe there is only one) It is heavily blistered amongst other systemic issues. I hauled this boat over a year ago when it was with a different broker. After we test sailed,hauled and declined the owner changed brokers. They have also dropped the price substantially. Good luck!

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The E-37 in PDX

As of today that E-37 in PDX shows "sale pending", so at a seemingly very low asking price of 22K, someone may have closed on it.
Of course we'll likely never just what the actual price really was.

Loren

jim239

Member I
I did call about the 37. I was told it is still pending but it has been pending since January so ? I have gone to look at the 39 in Sidney and Im thinking on that one.
Thanks for the info. The Broker did tell me there was a little blister problem :)
Jim