E380 with an Electric Fuel Pump?

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
So I have a 1996 E380 and have been working on my list of to do winter projects and I'm now starting on the engine items, new engine mounts, recondition heat exchanger etc. The engine is a Yanmar 3JH2E that has a mechanical fuel pump (with manual primer lever) and a primary Racor fuel filter with the manual priming pump. However, the boat also has a electric fuel pump between the Racor and the engines mechanical fuel pump. It seems to be non OEM add on and wondering if I need it and any pros or cons of having it.

Dave G.

1984 E30+ Ludington, MI
I know a lot of us have an electric "assist" pump. Mine's a Facet brand, don't recall exact model. Not sure if it's absolutely necessary on your boat but it sure makes priming the engine a breeze..

Second Star

Member III
My manual for the Universal M18 shows the electric (Facet) fuel pump as a required component for the engine. It feeds fuel through the primary filter and ensures sufficient fuel flow is available to the mechanical injection pump that creates the very high pressure required by diesel engines.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Might be a pump added just for convenience. My boat (early 80s Universal 5432*), with a mechanical fuel pump, has such a rig. It's only used during fuel filter changes to easily refill the fuel lines.

*Later 5432s have an electric fuel pump.

Alli-Rose

Might be a pump added just for convenience. My boat (early 80s Universal 5432*), with a mechanical fuel pump, has such a rig. It's only used during fuel filter changes to easily refill the fuel lines.

*Later 5432s have an electric fuel pump.
I have an 1995 E 380. It also has an electric fuel pump. This is my second Pacific Seacraft built boat. The prior boat had an electric fuel pump also. I believe that’s the way they configure their boats.

kiwisailor

Member III
Blogs Author
I have an 1995 E 380. It also has an electric fuel pump. This is my second Pacific Seacraft built boat. The prior boat had an electric fuel pump also. I believe that’s the way they configure their boats.
Thanks for the feedback as it's nice to know that it's a standard install item.

u079721

Contributing Partner
It was a standard item on my 1989 model. A friend's electric lift pump died on him one day requiring a tow back to the dock, so I decided having a spare pump (Facet 574A) aboardd was a good idea.