E380 spinnaker halyard conundrum

khunter

Hi everyone
I parted the halyard to my brand new cruising spinnaker while coming down the west coast of Vancouver Island this past summer. After doing a little research I realized I needed to make a change to the spinnaker halyard lead to avoid the chaff from the mast and forestay. I went aloft today to measure up for a crane plate to hang a block in front of the forestay. I am not sure how to proceed after seeing the configuration of the forestay in relation to the exit of the halyards from the mast. (See the picture of the frontside of the mast). The spinnaker halyard (red line)won't fit above the pin that holds the forestay. If I use the lower hole to attach the forestay I am not sure I will have clearance for my headsail halyard (green line) to function without rubbing. I am also not sure if I move the pin to the lower location if there will be any other things I need to be concerned about regarding changes to the headsail position. Any ideas?
Thanks,
Ken Hunter
E380, Aquilo

E380 mast head.jpg

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That's a puzzling photo. Our boat has two "wing" halyards, one port and one starboard of the headstay. AND.... a polished ss "cage" that routes either halyard out and over/around the stay when/if jibing a spinnaker.
Our single headsail halyard is where your two lines come out.

The picture seems to show two headsail halyards under the headstay, neither of which would lead properly for a flying sail.
:confused:

Do you know the name of the spar maker?

Regards,
Loren

Last edited:

footrope

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Your picture looks like the main halyard (aft side of the mast) and a mystery halyard or a topping lift lead.

If that is your forestay connection then it would be a good idea to get a rigger to advise you about adding spinnaker sheaves and halyards.

In the attached pictures of the forward side of the masthead (forestay connection), there are slots for three sheaves, and either outboard could be used for a spinnaker halyard. The pin is for the forestay toggle connection, and behind it is the primary jib halyard sheave. These pictures are my E38 masthead (Kenyon).

Mast_Painted01.jpgMasthead_Nose_fairing_mod04.jpg

Last edited:

khunter

Nice paint job in those pics. Yes my picture is in fact the front of the mast. The previous owner had the port halyard labeled Spinnaker so I didn't think twice to use it with my new sail.

Rick R.

Contributing Partner
I'm surprised you don't have the SS piece forward.

Here re are a couple pics my rigger buddy took of the top of our mast when he replaced the anchor light.

Not sure why the are sideways, they aren't that way in my computer. And yes, we still have the wire/rope halyard for the spinnaker.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I'm surprised you don't have the SS piece forward.

Here re are a couple pics my rigger buddy took of the top of our mast when he replaced the anchor light.

Not sure why the are sideways, they aren't that way in my computer. And yes, we still have the wire/rope halyard for the spinnaker.

Probably the same Kenyon mast as our boat. Same ss "cage" anyhow.
The OP has a spar from a different builder, and I also do not understand why no extra sheave and cage, or a traditional spinnaker crane.

Loren

ps: here are the pix, re-oriented.

Attachments

• image-1.jpg
    image-1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 43
  • image-2.jpg
    image-2.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

khunter

From what I am seeing with the setup on both of your boats your halyard is still rubbing depending on what tack you are on. Because the surface is smooth you avoid a chaffing issue. The top of my forestay is polished SS so this may not be an issue. The issue is protecting the halyard from the side plate where it exits the mast when the sail is on the port side. Do you think putting some anti-chaff gear on the last foot of the halyard would be all I need?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
At least your mast builder, unlike mine, is still in business.
Looks like they prefer an external crane assembly, and can sell you one.
http://www.lefiellmarine.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=80&Itemid=63

That does give you a "fairer" lead, but then you have an external halyard or you create an entrance for it a few feet below the top and another regular exit plate near the deck.
It's all choices and options, as the saying goes.

Loren

Last edited:

u079721

Contributing Partner
That looks like the same set up I had on my 1989 E38 - which is to say there are indeed two halyards rigged, but neither is really a proper spinnaker halyard. For that to work you're really going to have to mount some type of crane off the top of the mast to the the sheave or pulley out in front and away from the forestay. Only then will one of those halyards be suitable for use with a spinnaker. I started that project, but never got around to finishing it.

Last edited: