E38 water leak at companionway slider

hodo

Member III
Happy New Year! Well, almost. MS. Claus was good to me, she got a new vhf. Took it to the boat, found I have a fair leak from rain [ of all things ]. It seems to be coming in at the starboard side of the slider, and pooling on the sole in the galley. The wood frame seems to be doing little to stop the intrusion. The galley slave {the afore mentioned MS. Claus], pointed out that MY head would get wet as I cooked. Anyone experience this? The leak I mean. It's a 1985 #120. Thanks for any help. Hodo:devil:

escapade

Inactive Member
E34 leak

My '88 E34 also had a leak over the galley. Mine was comeing in around the 3/8 bolt that holds the seahood below the traveler. I ended up removing the entire seahood, reinforcing the corners w/FRP where the stress from the traveler was creating cracks & pulling the screw heads through the hood. When I reinstalled the hood I used fender (oversize flat washers) washers under the bolts & liberal amounts of polysulfide sealant. This cured my problem completely.
Tracing leaks on a boat can be a real detective story! They don't always orginate where you think they might. Just remember water ALWAYS flows downhill! Good luck & hopefully this will help you out.
Have fun & sail fast
Bud E34 "Escapade":cheers:

tdtrimmer

Member II
I have a similar problem on my 1981 E38 only I get water in on both sides of the companionway slider. I have tried to track it down in every way I can think of short of removing the companionway cover and have not had success. I too would be interested in what others have found.
Tom