E38 bulkheads

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
The new boat has several mods to the cockpit lockers. At least I think they are mods.

There is a bulkhead in the helm seat locker fixed to prevent stored itemsfrom falling into the rudder tube area. It is a heavy plywood cutout, screwed at the top to a transverse wooden member. No tabbing.

There is a heavy, removable fore-and-aft plywood insert under the starboard seat locker. It slides into guides, and prevents stored gear from entering the water heater area. No tabbing.

Just aft of that is a 24" continuation of that bulkhead, permanently tabbed to the hull and screwed at the top. It prevents access to the quadrant area.

I have removed most of it and am about to saw out the tabbing.

Question--anybody think these were factory installations? They look like dispensable PO work to me.

Last edited:

Afrakes

Sustaining Member
Modifications

The first two sound like PO mods. On my 28, in the port cockpit locker, there is a secured canvas cloth that prevents items from sliding against the water heater and under the cockpit floor. Under the helm seat I made a removable floor that prevents items from getting into the quadrant area. I sold a used bow pulpit to a fellow forum member who had an object slide down and jam the quadrant just as he was docking. Bang. On the last one, is the tabbing "fresh"? Does it look like the rest of the tabbing on the boat?

hodo

Member III
Hi. Our 85 E38 from the original owner had the aft partition as you describe it. The Stbd, locker has Sunbrella piece snapped over the opening. If the 24" piece is tabbed to the hull, it may well be a strength member. A picture would help. I will check mine tomorrow.

Harold S/V Mischief Maker

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks Harold, I will post a photo of that part too.

That piece absolutely renders the rudder post inaccessible. The tabbing looks pretty old on it, however, and has the same look as the factory furniture tabbing (which on this boat is apprentice level work).

Navman

Member III
E-38 bulkheads

No bulkheads fitting your description are on or 1986 E-38. We only had the drop curtain. All else is readily visible and accessible. I like the fact that I can see and reach any issues which may develop beneath the cockpit. I have not had any issues with stored items falling or sliding down into the quadrant, shaft or water heater areas no mater the angle of heal. I am careful about how I place the stored items, but its not that big a deal. We LOVE our 38!! Good luck with yours and many happy adventurers.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I cut out this bulkhead today. Although tabbed to the hull, it had no proper connection to the cockpit pan, and could not have been intended as structural.

It also entirely cut off access to the quadrant and steering cables, which is plumb crazy.

Attachments

• lazarette floating bulkhead.jpg
    lazarette floating bulkhead.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 165

Navman

Member III
E-38 bulkheads

Went down to my 1986 E-38 yesterday to remove my instruments for refurbishing by Signet and thought I would check out my areas beneath the cockpit. I found no bulkheads in the starboard or aft cockpit compartments. I only have the aforementioned skirt, I do keep an eye on how I stow items and have not yet had any issues during my first season with her. I do have what appears to be a 2x3 glassed into the hull down low to act as a "preventer" maybe. in the aft storage area. There is also a longitudinal stringer glassed in down low in the starboard compartment into which the fasteners for the skirt are mounted. Gives you a good foot brace when working in the compartment and keeps you from sliding down the curve of the hull. Nothing like what you have. Maybe this was discontinued due to the inconveniences it presented.