E38 Anchor Locker Challenge

JEESails

Member I
Hello All,
My E38 is set up with an electric windlass and all chain rode. The challenge is that when the chain is coming in, it piles up on itself after it drops into the locker and tends to bind up the windlass. So, when weighing anchor we have to open up the v-berth and station someone down there to pull the chain down and out of the way as it comes in - PITA!
I've been trying to dream up some kind of fabrication I can do in the locker to fix it. I'm just wondering if anyone has already encountered something like this and what solution they may have come up with. I saw a post the other day that referenced putting in a hawse pipe??
FYI - I did a search on the topic "anchor locker" in this forum and either I'm doing something wrong or something is amiss. It seems like no matter what I search on, I just get the same very long list of hits??
Thanks!
John

Glyn Judson

Preventing chain pile up.

John, The then owner of E31 hull #46 used a method I've actually seen that was designed to help prevent this. He fitted 4" or 6", (can't tell from my photo) ABS sewer pipe under the hawse pipe in some fashion that went a short distance in the locker to a 45 degree elbow and then led farther aft in the direction of the lowest spot of the anchor locker. That was his solution to the same problem you're having. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I sure would love to see pics of that install. Sounds like there is not enough vertical space in the locker for the chain to pile up. Take some pics and show us what happens. RT

Glyn Judson

Anchor locker pipe.

Rob, Attachments and I don't get along on this site so email me back channel at glynjudson@roadrunner.com and I'll attach the image in a return email to you. Glad to help, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Capn Geoff

John, I had the same problem with chain binding up the windlass. I have about 180' of chain and 200' of rope rode. I've never actually used enough rode to get to the rope but since my cruising grounds are the Gulf and San Juan islands it's always a possibility.

The chain was coming down on on top of the hank of rope rode and I had to go into the locker to shift things around. What I did was to push the rope as far as I could to the front of the locker so that there was more room for the chain to drop into. So far that seems too be working. Sometimes the simplest things work best.

Ericson 38 "Water Rat"

JEESails

Member I
Chain Locker Pics

I got up to the boat yesterday and got some pics (I live 2 hours from the boat - Vancouver WA - Tacoma WA). Now lets see if I can figure out how to get them attached... :)
Is the locker supposed to be divided by the short bulk head? Right now the chain all drops into the smaller, forward locker - I'd really rather direct it back to the larger aft locker. I'd need to open up that bulkhead section a little more - should I be concerned about doing that?
I thought about extending the hawse pipe further aft and through the very ugly hole that was cut by the PO, but I don't think there's enough vertical drop to prevent the chain from stalling in the pipe.
My other idea is to make the opening in the bulk head wider and rectangular, then build a "slide" in the forward locker that would direct the chain through the opening and drop it into the aft locker...
Thanks much for the suggestions so far...
John

Attachments

• Anchor Locker Setup.jpg
    Anchor Locker Setup.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 137
  • Pipe from Topsides 1.jpg
    Pipe from Topsides 1.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 97
  • Pipe from Topsides.jpg
    Pipe from Topsides.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 169
  • Chain Locker 2.jpg
    Chain Locker 2.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 141

u079721

Contributing Partner
I guess my first thought when I saw your photos was why is the PVC pipe so long? If the pipe were only a few inches long, wouldn't there be enough room in the forward compartment for all the chain? Of course you would probably need to rig a way to hold the access door closed if chain were resting against it, and having all that weight all the way forward isn't a good thing, but it might work.

As for the bulkheads, I can tell you that originally there were no openings (other than limber holes) between the most forward area formed by the forward bulkhead, and the forward or middle compartments under the V berth. So yes, that short bulkhead in the locker is original.

Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Where is that hawse pipe coming from? The stock anchor pan? It looks that way from the pic. My plan is to remove the pan entirely and glass in a bulkhead in place of the stock wood setup effectively creating a watertight area just forward of the V-berth and only open/accessible via the deck hatch. The aft 1/3rd of the stock deck hatch would be cut and used to mount the windlass and the forward 2/3rds used as a hatch for the new chain locker. The windlass would spill chain directly into the chain locker, no pipe needed. The floor of the new locker would be just above the waterline so it will drain OUTSIDE the hull. Lots of new boats are setup this way.

The main advantage I see to your setup is it moves the weight farther aft and lower in the hull, which is a good thing.

Got any pics of the deck/windlass install?

RT

Glyn Judson

Watertight chain locker.

Rob, Our former boat, an E25+ had a watertight locker in the bow which kept funky water from migrating into the bilges. The factory's solution for draining that locker was to drill a 1/2"(?) hole smack-dab through the bow at the lowest point of the locker. It worked like a charm and as fast as outside water made its way in, it ran right out again. I might add that I'm pretty certain it was a factory made drain because I've seen that same hole on other Ericsons and in the same place. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Glyn,
The setup you describe is exactly what I am speaking of. I want a dedicated locker for chain/rode that drains overboard. I think that my E38 can be reworked to achieve this. I have looked at the lockers on many new production boats and have taken some pics. The boat brokers think I'm a bit nuts when I only want to look at anchor lockers at the boat shows. I am also shocked by how many manufacturers have the windlass motor hanging down into the anchor locker, exposed to saltwater, etc. My plan is to locate the motor just aft of the rear anchor locker bulkhead, so its inside the hull away from the elements. IP is supposed to be a "quality" boat and they just leave the windlass motor hanging in there..... I expect more. This project is my winter project for next year.

RT

Trucker Doug

Member II
Woah! That's what I meant in the last windless thread. But how much chain do you have to need to go all the way through to the 3rd compartment? Wouldn't it be better to have a 100' chain and then when needed you could add another 100' on those rare occasions and store it in the second or 3rd compartment? At least it wouldn't be a pain most of the time.

JEESails

Member I
Windlass Pictures

Thanks for all the ideas guys! Here's a pic of the windlass. It does indeed drop through from the stock pan...
Short term, I like the idea of just cutting off or removing the hawse pipe and piling the chain in the forward space. The little door in the bulkhead is really tight - I can barely pry it open, though I would want to do something to protect the wood from the moisture... Eventually, I also like the idea of glassing in a water tight locker, like Rob described...
So, the compromise is having the weight all the way forward vs moving it down and aft in the boat... Any thoughts on if there is significant effect on performance with the weight all forward?
When I get up to the boat again this weekend, I'll play with it some more... Thanks!
John

Attachments

• Windlass.jpg
    Windlass.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 195

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Okay, that pic makes things a little clearer. It looks like someone already moved the floor of the pan down? My anchor locker pan is one piece, that one looks like there is a step aft of the windlass? My idea is use a vertical windlass mounted at deck height. That way it would increase the depth available in the locker.

I agree that keeping the weight aft and low is the correct thing to do. However I am planning on 60ft of 5/16" HT chain and then line for anchor rode. This will be much lighter than an all-chain rode. I do not think the E38 has the buoyancy in bow to support an all-chain rode. Maybe if you could work out a locker like what you have to carry it low and aft then it would be okay. The issue with your type of locker is the wet rode and resultant pool of water ends up in the bilge. The forward area of an E38 doesn't drain very well.

The vertical windlass and forward locker with combination chain/line rode, IMHO, is the best compromise.

RT