E38, 38-200 Mast Question

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Does anyone know if the 38 and 38-200 used the same mast? I need to order a bunch of stuff for the mast and the only info I've been able to find is from rig-rite listing the Kenyon 5280 section as correct for E38. No mention of 38-200. Any info greatly appreciated. http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/5280-cruising.html

Also, if anyone knows a less pricey source for mast stuff like solent stay tangs, halyard winch pads, etc I'm all ears...

Thanks!

Ryan

e38 owner

Member III
Does anyone know if the 38 and 38-200 used the same mast? I need to order a bunch of stuff for the mast and the only info I've been able to find is from rig-rite listing the Kenyon 5280 section as correct for E38. No mention of 38-200. Any info greatly appreciated. http://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Kenyon_Spars/5280-cruising.html

Also, if anyone knows a less pricey source for mast stuff like solent stay tangs, halyard winch pads, etc I'm all ears...

Thanks!

Ryan

I am not sure but I have a 1981 38. I know the mast is a little different than the later models. Examples are the mast does not use tangs but T's for stay terminations and the shape is slightly different. When I replaced the standing rigging and Lifelines I used Tom's Rigging. I believe he did the original rigging on a number of Ericsons. I was happy with his work. We did not need to use rig rite for the t's etc. The winch pads are part of the mast. The babystay top lift eye is part of the mast We changed to an open turnbuckle from the Original Navtec.

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
I am not sure but I have a 1981 38. I know the mast is a little different than the later models. Examples are the mast does not use tangs but T's for stay terminations and the shape is slightly different. When I replaced the standing rigging and Lifelines I used Tom's Rigging. I believe he did the original rigging on a number of Ericsons. I was happy with his work. We did not need to use rig rite for the t's etc. The winch pads are part of the mast. The babystay top lift eye is part of the mast We changed to an open turnbuckle from the Original Navtec.

Interesting. The mast on my 38-200 also uses T-ball fittings but when I replaced the rigging they were not a standard size and we had to grind the ends a bit to get them to fit. I think the P Seacraft 38-200s used tangs like you mentioned. Our mast does not have winch pads. I wonder if there were three different masts? Early 38s, 38-200s, and the PS version? Thank you for the info, it was helpful.

Anyone else know about this?

Peregrine

Member II
Mast Fittings

Ryan,

My mast has tangs. The mast was built by LeFiell and when I rebuilt it they replaced two of them. Not sure if they have the parts you are looking for, but they are very friendly and helpful. I am sure they will do all they canto help. They are also just a short drive from here.

Tony
Peregrine Spirit

Ryan L

s/v Naoma
Great info!

Ryan,

My mast has tangs. The mast was built by LeFiell and when I rebuilt it they replaced two of them. Not sure if they have the parts you are looking for, but they are very friendly and helpful. I am sure they will do all they canto help. They are also just a short drive from here.

Tony
Peregrine Spirit

Hi Tony- Thank you for that lead! Excellent info! I emailed them and have my fingers crossed they can help... By the way, we still need to have you onboard sometime soon. We've only sailed a handful of days since we last saw you and those were mostly to test installations but after some major projects (largely inspired by Peregrine...) she's finally almost ready to start sailing again! Have you been out much?