E38-200 tfg keelbolt cracks

Nickg

Hi all,

Looking at an Ericson 38-200 and noticed some small cracks in the triaxial force grid around some of the keelbolts. Otherwise the boat is in immaculate condition and has been very well maintained. Owner said he pulled and remounted the keel 20 years ago and has tightened the keel bolts since.

Is this concerning?

Appreciate any feedback,

Nick

Attachments

• IMG_20180705_133611401.jpg
    IMG_20180705_133611401.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 99

bigd14

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hard to tell from the photo but those look like cracks in the gelcoat only. Can you determine if they extend into the fiberglass laminate below? If its just gelcoat cracks, I don't see much to worry about. Maybe the previous owner overtightened the nuts a bit?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Those look like cracks in the gel coat that EY coated the inside of the hull in the bilge areas. As this surface continues to harden and "cure" over the years it slightly shrinks and cracks can form. For an area like this very few workers would worry about the thickness of the coating when they applied it.
The laminate is thick and strong underneath what is a cosmetic surface.

What year is the E-38 you are looking at?

Nickg

Thanks for the information.

I don't remember seeing any indication that they extend deeper than the surface. They looked like hairline fractures to me.

It's a 1986.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
That's just the molded pan of the TAFG where it meets the hull, pierced by the keel bolts.

The TAFG is attached to the hull at multiple points elsewhere, by tabbing.

Cracks there don't mean anything, they're in the gelcoat of the pan where the bolts force it down to meet the hull.