E36C Mast Conduit?

Guy Stevens

Most of the did, but then again some didn't easy to tell.
Look at the mast about 6 feet above the deck, all the way around, we are looking for two pop rivets that don't seem to hold anything to the mast.
Then about 6 feet further up, there should be two more.
(One of them was a hole to hold the conduit to the mast while they drilled the hole in the conduit, and pop riveted it in place, the other pop rivet fills the tool hole).
No Rivets, no conduit.....
G

Jon Libby

Member II
Most of the did, but then again some didn't easy to tell.
Look at the mast about 6 feet above the deck, all the way around, we are looking for two pop rivets that don't seem to hold anything to the mast.
Then about 6 feet further up, there should be two more.
(One of them was a hole to hold the conduit to the mast while they drilled the hole in the conduit, and pop riveted it in place, the other pop rivet fills the tool hole).
No Rivets, no conduit.....
G
Any idea about the pop rivets. Was a wire simply passed around the conduit and wrapped around the pop rivets. I keep doing it every 3 years as it never holds, I’ve just solid, stranded, galvanized and SS. Got to do it again this year, looking for a better fix.

Guy Stevens

Its not wire. There are two holes.
Hole number one was drilled, a hook was inserted through the hole pulling the conduit into place against the mast wall. Thenna second hole was drilled through both the mast wall and the conduit wall and a pop rivet long enough to hold both was inserted in the hole and popped.
The hook was removed and another pop rivet inserted in the now empty hole and popped, closing off the hole.
The conduit was thin walled irrigation conduit, and at this age probsbly is broken around where it was fastened. The job is actually prety easy with the mast down.

Jon Libby

Member II
On mine there is the center hole and rivet holding the conduit and 2 other holes with a wire passed through each hole and wrapped around the rivet. Three holes are only at every other spot. So 2 then 3 then 2 the center home is every other spot.