E35II Anchor and Roller

chaco

Member III
Well.... the Dockfather and I were sittin round on a cold day havin an Ale and took a good look at the Weenie 20LB Danforth Anchor and Pathetic Factory Light Duty Roller on the Boat :cool: Figured its time for a Real OffShore Anchor and Roller. Like the 35LB CQR or Delta Plow with Custom Roller Mount with Retainer Pin...similar to Lewmar Universal. Will have a local weld shop Fab it up rather than give my kids inheritance to WM. Lets see your Anchor SetUps and Anchor War Stories :egrin:

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
Dan - you may not want to change as much on your foredeck as I am doing, and I have not yet finished building it to give proper feedback, but here are my thoughts.

I have built a deck mount for a roller on the port side of the forestay. I got a reasonable deal on a standard roller; but will still need a machine shop to make it longer to avoid too much stress on the deck. To accommodate it, I will need a new pulpit with feet in different locations - I needed a new one anyway.

I have considered the extended mounts others have posted pictures of, and for many uses they look ideal; but I want to keep the weight as far aft as possible, plus I am preparing my boat for ocean passage so want as little as possible that can get ripped away.

There is room for a windlass behind the anchor to feed into the locker forward of the V berth, but I have not yet chosen which model, or if instead I would prefer to just raise by hand and feed the rode through a large deck opening.

The available size for the anchor locker will depend on the drainage arrangements, for which I see two options. The first is for one (or possibly two, to allow for blockage) 1.5" through hull(s) above the water line forward of the V-berth, with a 45 deg tailpiece(s) to a short section of hose to a drain(s) on the base of the anchor locker. The alternative, which would allow a lot more space in the locker itself, would be one 2" drain going to a through hull below the water line somewhere under the V-berth.

I know that is not a very complete answer to your question, but I hope it provides some useful food for thought.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972