E35 purchase advice

dpotter

I am considering the purchase of a used E35 in the late 70 to early 80 vintage. One in particular in my area (a 78) is attractively priced but will need some TLC.

I would to find a source of info on the hull and deck layup schedules (to find out about coring and delamination of same). Would also appreciate any insider knowledge of any type.

I previously owned a 1976 Tartan 30 and did a lot of work on it myself so I'm not averse to older boats and their problems but I would like to avoid major structural issues if possible.

To reply off the forum you can contact me at

dpotter at diaconcorp_dot_com

Thanks in advance
Duncan Potter

Phil MacFarlane

Member III
Hi, Duncan

I have a 71 e-35. Its a mk II and I think a 78 is also.
The hull is solid hand liad glass, two halfs joined on the center line.
No core. The deck is balsa core. The most common problem with these boats is leaking chian plates. the water rots out the bulkhaeds and makes its way into the deck. Check this area carefullyI have some info that says the layup is: 11 laminations.
Each laminate is 3oz matt and 16oz woven roving. I dont know how accurate this is.

Good luck

Phil

Seth

Sustaining Partner
E 35

Phil is right, as usual on the layup info.
Watch out for compression at the mast step area, and the corrosion in the water jacket exhaust system.

FWIW, the center engine models are the most desireable and best performing.

Contact me directly for more details on sailing. performance, sails, and harware questions.
Good hunting!

jim kizziar

Member I
I have a 1986 E 35 III and have detailed manufacturer drawings and schematics. Mine also may be up for sale in the very near future. contact me directly for any further information you may need.

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
A slight modification to what you just read: Either side of the mast most of the way to the handrails, back to the hatch and about 12" forward, is plywood strip not balsa. Also, about 12" of plywood strip under each of the lower aft shrouds.

The top layer of glass on the foredeck is much thicker than the rest of the boat.

To add to the other comment about the main chainplates, I would not buy one of these boats without pulling the covers off the chainplates on the cabin to inspect the bulkhead - although you might have a hard time getting the seller to let you do that before he becomes desperater to sell. The chainplates go straight through cored deck, so deck problems are common there as well.

If you want more detail, or any other questions at all about the boat, fire away - I hope you join our breathren, I know you would enjoy sailing the boat.

Gareth
Freyja E35 #241 1972

dpotter

Thanks to All

Thanks for the input on the E35. I ended up with a smaller boat. The E35 I was interested in is still there on Yachtworld for 19.9k in Danvers Mass.

An E35 is still a possible in the future when I can afford to buy one without getting the bottom of the barrel.

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
dpotter said:
Thanks for the input on the E35. I ended up with a smaller boat. The E35 I was interested in is still there on Yachtworld for 19.9k in Danvers Mass.

An E35 is still a possible in the future when I can afford to buy one without getting the bottom of the barrel.

So what did you end up purchasing? We're interested to know who we lost you to! :D

//sse

dpotter

don't think of it as loosing a skipper....

I bought a 30 year old Dufour 27. It's a very quirky but cool boat, and was cheaper to buy and will be cheaper to own than an E35 would have been.

When the young'un is done with college maybe I'll be able to buy a nice E35...as opposed to a project boat

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
So, does it still have aboard the factory-logo dishware, silverware, and towels?
:)
Those were a "small" boat for their length, as I remember from our earlier shopping days. We have been aboard a 27 and a 34. I also remember the rig being kind of short, as though designed for heavy air.

Anyway, have fun!

Loren in PDX

dpotter

Unbelievably it still has the logo'ed dishware, ss flatware, and two beautiful heavy wool blankets with the Dufour emblem on all. It also has 3 (3!) sets of interior cushion covers, all original factory, two of which are unused!

It so far seems to be more of a heavy weather boat. The PO claims to have had it out in 60 kt gusts with sail up and wife on board...maybe that's why he had to sell it :) !

I think it compares favorably room wise with a Catalina 27, and the material, fit and finish is much, much better.

Thanks all for your help and interest.